cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Which is Difficult to Follow

Fixes: 47

Advice Which is Difficult to Follow

Reading this thread reminded me of other similar situations.
Such as years ago when we had a dial up modem.
If it failed one piece of advice was to down load fresh drivers for the modem Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Advice Which is Difficult to Follow

Very common issue things like that.
I remember being with BT years ago for dialup.. damn thing kept dropping (turned out to be a BT scam - watchdog exposed it) but they'd say things like dialup and then we'll ring you on the landline to talk you through what to do  Crazy For the UKs biggest communications company they weren't very good at communicating. Also had them telling us to download new drivers.
Likewise another PC dropped dead and we were advised by the retailer to go online and report etc  Undecided
Then there is the tech who thought it would be a good idea to disable the anti virus  Shocked
Oh and the lovely chap in the local shop who told me because Windows had crashed the hard drive was knackered.. even though my linux CD could access it without any trouble he still insisted the drive was duff  Angry I got technical with him about how it works and eventually he realised he'd not managed to bluff me.
My favourite was the printer.. not being recognised by USB and not recognised etc.. so Epson told me to print a test page  Cry
Easy to think that you only need one PC but in reality you always need at least 2 or 3 for when one goes wrong. I had 5, yes FIVE drop dead in one day once.. luckily I had a 6th  Grin
Despite computers running on logic it seems that logic has nothing to do with it when you need help  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
thejudge
Grafter

My own favourite is:
"Keyboard error - press F1 to continue"
Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Or this one.....
Windows has stopped working
OK
  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Which one is the 'any' key?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite

My favourite was the printer.. not being recognised by USB and not recognised etc.. so Epson told me to print a test page  Cry
E

oddly enough this is not duff advice.  although it may appear that the printer is at fault, each is set up to be able to print a test page using buttons on the printer.  thus you can check that the printer is functioning as it should and that the problem lies somewhere along the link to the computer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Not with that printer you couldn't and besides they were telling me to print it from within Windows Control Panel. Idiots. Overpriced cartridges run out far too quickly too and when you clean the head don't expect less than 1/3 of the ink to be used in the process  Crazy I was really miffed with that printer - I gave it away free in the end. I couldn't fault the scanner though, the scan quality was top notch but next time I'll find a seperate scanner instead of a multi unit (unless its a canon).
dick:quote
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!