cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice From the Ambulance Service

Community Veteran

Advice From the Ambulance Service

I came across this bit of advice and thought it was worth passing on.

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory.  If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill , the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn' t know who to call.
Yes , there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency?  Hence this ' ICE ' (In Case of Emergency)
Campaign.
The concept of ' ICE ' is catching on quickly.  It is a method of contact during emergency situations.  As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population , all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name ' ICE ' ( In Case Of Emergency).  The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents there were always mobile phones with patients but they didn ' t know which number to call.
He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognised name for this purpose.
In an emergency situation , Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialling the number you have stored as ' ICE ' .
Please forward this........It won ' t take too many ' forwards ' > before everybody will know about this.  It really could save your life , or put a loved one ' s mind at rest.
For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1 , ICE2 and ICE3 etc.
Please put your ICE on your phone now and also forward to any family/friends , work mates for their own info also.
18 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Advice From the Ambulance Service

Neat idea  Smiley
I'm surprised I'd not heard of it before - the idea has obviously been around for a while:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4746789.stm
Without further ado, I'll go and do it now! Thanks for the tip artmo.
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 47

Good idea....done it Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

and this:
Deputy Health Minister John Griffiths said: "Spending time trying to contact the next of kin can delay the start of treatment.

is just the sort of rubbish remark we have come to expect from those elected representatives of ours.  how would not being able to contact a relly have any bearing on the treatment the patient will receive?
ice is an excellent idea, neat, simple and effective.
pollies should learn to think before opening their gobs and letting their bellies rumble.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

certain procedures do require the consent of a relative or next of Kin before carrying on, so to use a medical term "wind yer neck in"
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
  how would not being able to contact a relly have any bearing on the treatment the patient will receive?

Permission for a blood transfusion for an unconscious Jehovas Witness.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Advice about any previous conditions and/or allergies.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jmd
Grafter

This advice came round by email just after 9/11.  Something I have full intention of doing as well [but naughtily have not] now I have dog is to have card in car  - explaining that if the dog is not in car probably locked in crate in house and giving details on who to contact etc. along with my information.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: geewizz
Quote from: artificer
  how would not being able to contact a relly have any bearing on the treatment the patient will receive?

Permission for a blood transfusion for an unconscious Jehovas Witness.

I hope that this is not the case. I would not be happy if a family member die because of not getting permission for a blood transfusion because of a very small percentage of the population are Jehovas Witnesses. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I Have had this on my phone, and my wife`s for the past 6 years !....  I have  my Doctor as ICE 1 and my wife as ICE 2 ! !  Smiley
techguy
Grafter

Yep excellent idea, heard about it a while back and did it straight away
@itsme if the whole family were Witnesses then they would not want a transfusion to take place (yep the belief is barmy IMO but everyone is entitled to their own beliefs provided they don't impse it on others or murder others for their belief)
MrC
Grafter

Hmm, not too useful if your phone is set to auto-lock. Perhaps I should put an ICE sticker on it  Smiley
Mike
techguy
Grafter

Or just use the SIM lock and the non PIN keypad lock as not sure about everyone else but I have my phone on when I leave the house otherwise it kind of maes having a mobile pointless.
MrC
Grafter

Unfortunately I have to have the phone turned off (not even on silent) when actively working. Plus working on public transport means I'm a bit paranoid about it being lifted or picked up somewhere by some oik so I PIN lock the keypad as well as the SIM to prevent said oik from reading the phone contents by inserting their own SIM.
Mike
Fixes: 47

I have the ultimate phone security. I ran over it with my car just before Christmas. Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation