Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adverts on the telly.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Adverts on the telly.

Just switched on my telly.... adverts... changed channel.... adverts... changed channel ... adverts... changed channel..... adverts..

Is there something in the air...that ensures that whatever programme/channel you wanted to watch, you MUST watch 5 minutes of adverts before you can watch it ?

Talking about FREEVIEW  free to air ( normal telly down and aerial on the chimney type)

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Adverts on the telly.

Not that I am aware of...

Hence the reason we record as much as possible programs we want to watch so we can cue through the ads..

Seem to recall reading something years ago about suggestions a tv could be made that would block adverts as they came on, not sure what would appear in that 5 minute gap.

As you know most adverts simply annoy ....even the BBC can be annoying with advertising programs or some silly 1 minute scene which is meaningless.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@shutter 

Sorry after reading your past again I see you were making a statement rather than asking a question.

😀

Highlighted
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 159

Freeview? Live TV? What about the BBC tax that has to be paid?

I find recording programmes then starting watching the programme 10-15 minutes after the start time works. It will catch up when you skip through the adverts. Get it right it will catch up with the live programme between the last break and the end.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I have pretty much given up on live BBC even though it's advert free and given up on Sky as it's nothing but adverts and much like Channel Four. Even YouTube seems to be going that way now.

Like others and where I can, I download most stuff now which by the way was not possible with the Sky as I am using Sky Go which as just annoyingly does not have subtitles either. 

Don't mind a few as it has to be paid for somehow but when you have to sit through five, six, seven or more all interest (and memory) of what was being watched has gone. Make a cup if tea during the advert break? It feels at times I could cook a roast dinner! 

The above comments were sponsored by 'MaDonalds', the home of the great value triple cheesburger!  

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran

What I've noticed is that the volume of adverts is always louder than the programme you're watching.
It's a tedious task having to keep turning the telly up and down.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

Apart from the news channels I don't watch anything live, and I can honestly say I don't see the adverts referred to in the OP.

Like gleneagles and Baldrick1 I record anything that might be of interest, and if it's not?  Into Room 101 of course, and no time wasted.

The trouble is though I seem to record more than I can watch and it's building up all the time - just checked and there's 5.58 TB of stuff on my DVB recording drive (although there's probably quite a few duplicates of stuff such as Family Guy which seems to be repeated frequently).

EDIT:  Plus several TB of other stuff such as series and movies on my NAS.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

You might remember back in the day of video tapes when people would record just about anything to 'watch' later and finished up with shelves stacked with literally dozens of 'em with no hope of ever finding the time.

I had Das Boot unwatched on tape for years and now, it's all there to be had on YouTube...along with those adverts!

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Hmmm... interesting that you all seem to complain about adverts on YouTube ! ! ..

I don`t get any ! ...

Maybe it`s because I use Ghostery.... https://www.ghostery.com/

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Not really complaining, just saying. 😉

Interesting line, will check it out.

Highlighted
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

You might remember back in the day of video tapes when people would record just about anything to 'watch' later and finished up with shelves stacked with literally dozens of 'em with no hope of ever finding the time to watch them.

Yep, guilty as charged!  Not only finding time to watch them but finding them to watch them!

I remember one particular Sony VHS VCR I had had an indexing system which required a special 'spine' label to be stuck on the cassette.  The label contained some sort of re-writable chip which stored the details (ISTR Title, duration, etc.) of up to 8 recorded programs and a high speed wind/rewind search mechanism.  I can't remember where the information came from (possibly Teletext EPG) but it was automatic (to a degree). Using the VCR remote control the list of recordings was displayed on the TV screen and you selected which one you wanted with the VCRs remote control.  You could also hold a previously recorded tape (with a label fitted) in front of the VCR to be scanned for it's contents which were then displayed on screen to save inserting tapes looking for a particular program.

I've still got that VCR which ISTR failed after a power-cut or something like that, so it might  only need the caps in the power supply replacing, just never got around to looking at it.

Highlighted
Hero

@shutter wrote:

Hmmm... interesting that you all seem to complain about adverts on YouTube ! ! ..

I don`t get any ! ...

Maybe it`s because I use Ghostery.... https://www.ghostery.com/

Probably cos you're watching on a PC @shutter !  Smiley

Not the case if you watch on a Smart TV, although I guess if you streamed YouTube to the TV via a PC with an adblocker you'd achieve the same result.

And I've guessed your reply! Cheesy

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Sony VHS, I thought they were all Betamax?

They did great video cameras as well but the VHS market really knocked them out of the park. Pity in some ways.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@RobPN  True.... but ... I didn`t even consider that people would want to watch utube on a telly !... maybe I`m too old for this modern world....

Remember  .. I still use Morse Code to send text messages to my friends in Australia, Canada, Japan,  Brazil, and other places around the world,  just as they did 100 years ago.

Highlighted
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

Sony VHS, I thought they were all Betamax?

They did great video cameras as well but the VHS market really knocked them out of the park. Pity in some ways.

@Minivanman 

Betamax was Sony, but as you say VHS beat Betamax in the consumer war.

This one was is Sony and VHS.

Just been and checked it (visually not electrically Wink ) and the lettering on the front says (as well as being VHS) ...

Sony Smart Engine

Hi-Fi Stereo / Flash Rewind

PS

Just took a photo, excuse the poor quality but it was taken in a dim corner with no flash.

Sony-VHS_20201007_214748.jpg

EDIT:  Hmm ... now I'm wondering where the Remote Control might be ...