cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advertisments

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Advertisments

Can you sell something on the basis it might work without the need to prove it does work.

Looking at a advertisment in today's paper for fuel pellets which give the impression that placed in your fuel tank MPG will improve and harmful emissions decrease.

Like a number of others who have posted in motoring forums I agree that the claims are bogus so how can they get away with it ?

The advert is cleverly worded, added to fuel used in Spitfires during the last war there was an improvement in performance...possibly true due to the poor quality of fuel available at that time.

The advert also claims some users have reported a increase in MPG up to 10% again possibly true, true in the sense that they claimed this but without any method of actually proving it ? Perhaps a case of we have purchased this and cannot accept it does not work ?

Some of you might remember the name Brocket ? Years ago they were selling the same thing so it's been around for years so plenty of time for it to be proved effective or not, surely not a difficult task ?

Of course there is the added line, ' If it does not work return it for a full refund'  Well good luck in getting that out of your fuel tank.

So back to my original question, How do they get away with advertising it ?

5 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Advertisments

They will get away with it untill ASA stops it , which is not fast Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Like those 'up to 76mbps' claims you mean Wink

Nothing new under the sun under is there, we were once told that we could "put a tiger" in our tanks - and given a sticker for our cars back window to prove it! Grrrr.

And how about those erm 'home massage' kits the Victorians used to tout in order "to stimulate the complexion and scalp". Did they work? Well apparently yes but.......

As said, nothing new under the sun. Smiley

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

And how about those erm 'home massage' kits the Victorians used to tout in order "to stimulate the complexion and scalp". Did they work? Well apparently yes but.......

Or the spin dryers advertised in the papers many years ago which turned out to be rotary clothes lines.  I guess they worked too!  Smiley

Fixes: 225

Just stick to the old adage; If it sounds too good to be true...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Mav  i have come to the decision that too good to be true ,,,, has  been now taken as acceptable .

Be surprised how many people click links Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .