cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advertising standards

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Advertising standards

Personally, being a born cynic I think that advertising companies live in a fantasy world of their own, competing with each other, to see who can produce the most outlandish misrepresentations of their clients products, which bear little resemblance to what the customer thinks they are buying.
But just occasionally a product comes along that actually does live up to the advertising blurb. One such product is the Gillette Fusion razor. As a dedicated wet shaver from being sent home from school at the age of 13 1/2, with the words "go home and get a shave son" ringing in my ears I have shaved every day since (excluding medical reasons, and the very occasional lazy Sunday) tried electric shaving, but found it not for me, and have tried most wet razors since available, from single edged strop blades (my Dad started me on those) to the current Gillette Fusion, from which I get the best ever shave, it outlasts any other (throwaway blade head) razor I've ever used by a factor of 3.
I admit I was very skeptical when given one of these razors by a grandchild for Christmas, but was immediately hooked from first use, although I think the battery operation is a waste of time.
Designer stubble does nothing for me, and just looks scruffy and lazy to me. Although I must admit, my wife is sometimes in favour of it on "some" usually very dark bearded men.
So do you know any other products that actually do live up to the expectations drummed up by advertisers.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
20 REPLIES
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Re: Advertising standards

How about,
1. Guinness.
2. Harveys Best Bitter. (Lewes, East Sussex)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The Tree House is designed for an extra special totally original self catering holiday. Ideal for a romantic honeymoon.

Mind you I have been married a long time
Accommodation
    * Double bedroom with king size bed and views down the burn
    * Bathroom with bath and shower and underfloor heating

pierre_pierre
Grafter

views down the burn

Failed on that one
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Completely off topic - while diametrically opposed anyway - Eco-friendly claims for ‘hybrid’ cars dismissed as gimmickry http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article3958376.ece
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You`re allowed to do that here,  Jim !  Wink Cheesy Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Welcome Oldjim, makes a change sometimes to have an "on-topic" reply, but they're not obligatory in Chit-chat.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Bob
How about,
1. Guinness.
2. Harveys Best Bitter. (Lewes, East Sussex)

As a teetotaler, I couldn't agree with that. What on earth have Guinness's adverts got to do with their product. Wouldn't know about Harvey's, thought they brewed Sherry.

Fixes: 47

How about Ronseal...it does what it says on the tin Smiley
...or Plusnet. It does what it says on the door Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

I've been pondering this a lot this morning, beats working.
And i haven't thought of one. That's soo depressing.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

...or Plusnet. It does what it says on the door Wink

Ok ok, there will always be exceptions...creep creep, er! perhaps we can review how much it is I am paying you each month?

madjbright
Grafter

Nothing works better than Anadin (so take nothing and it will probably get better anyway). Their current ad line is almost the same as this classic.
Community Veteran

Anadin is the only medication that works for clearing my headaches..... (apart from a jackpot win on the lottery)
I usually take two, let them disolve in my mouth, then crunch the small bits to grind them into more suitable size for ingestion into the system, keeping the resulting fluid in the mouth as long as possible before swallowing,  15 minutes later, the headache is gone.  (got a horrible taste, but that takes your mind off the headache! !  Cheesy  )
I learned that this is most effective, after reading somewhere, that the medicines are best absorbed into the system through the tongue, not through the gut.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

shutter,
Would that apply to Anusol ?
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/anusol_3_120.html
Community Veteran

Dunno............. suck it and see ?  Roll eyes Cheesy Grin