cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advertising Standards Agency - BT Infinity

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Advertising Standards Agency - BT Infinity

I raised the topic of BT advertising Infinity as a  Fibre Optic service. It is in effect misleading. What is actually on offer is a VDSL service (copper) back to street cabinets which are fed by shared fibre services. It is different from FTTH or FTTP where the fibre is actually delivered to the home. Longer term this is quite an important distinction because the lack of a contiguous fibre will limit the services delivered to the home as the usage of bandwidth grows.
Interesting the Advertising Standards Agency said the BT Aderts are not misleading.  Time will tell...
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
34 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Advertising Standards Agency - BT Infinity

And what would Virgin media have to say about it as their fibre is to the premises.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

VM is co-axial copper to the premises (from the distribution box) so not 'full fibre' either.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

Happy to stand corrected.
Looks like the technology is capable of competing with FTTP for a while.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
digitalham
Rising Star

Cable can offer high headline speeds but is very susceptible to local congestion problems due to the low bandwidth available at the local level. Current offering is typically 400Mbps down and 36Mbps up shared between several hundred customers. It only takes a couple running torrents through a decent VPN to completely screw things up for others on the same optical node. I've just given upon cable because of local congestion.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Why single BT out?
Most of the providers refer to their SFBB offerings as fiber optic, including VM.
And cable companies have been at it for years, I can remember back to the UA/Telewest days ads with Dawn French touting their 'Whizzy Bang' technology
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I personally don't trust any of the BT adverts. Theyre all slightly misleading in some way shape or form.
Take the latest where are student chum is buying fibre optic for his totally ditzy girlfriend who is still out of his league. Only £7.50 a month.. for six months then it's £15 and there is still the £15.99 line rental on top of that. So he's going to buy it for her for just £7.50 a month.. thats a big commitment for any student considering the real cost is going to be £31 a month after six months.
Then we have Sky, TalkTalk and others all saying that their WIRELESS broadband is better than the others because it has a better range. REALITY CHECK BROADBAND HAS NO RANGE. It's the router / wifi AP that has the range and anyone can buy one of these from anywhere. It's nothing to do with the ISP or their special signal at all. It's just down to which ISP will provide the best quality router at the lowest price they can supply it for which the customer still pays.
They're all misleading but thats how this country functions. Every company is trying a con of some sort some how.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Going slightly off-topic regarding what qualifies under the description of fibre (sorry) but:
I wish the ASA would force all ISPs that require line rental to be with them (or, for that matter, those that charge extra if line rental is not also taken) to give the TOTAL price including line rental as their headline price (After all, any ISP could make a fortune offering broadband for only £1 per month subject to taking line rental at £25.00 per month).
After all, supermarkets cannot advertise baked beans for 10p per tin only to tell you at the till that that offer only applies if you also buy a loaf of bread for £1.50!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Yes thats my point w23, it's misleading because the real price is the whole pricet that you have to pay - not some cleverly disguised price that is just a component of the whole deal.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Extending the argument a bit, it is like saying BT gives me fibre optic phone phone delivery just because the Telephone Exchange is fed by fibre optic cables. My actual connection is copper via telephone poles to the local exchange.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
I personally don't trust any of the BT adverts. Theyre all slightly misleading in some way shape or form.
Take the latest where are student chum is buying fibre optic for his totally ditzy girlfriend who is still out of his league. Only £7.50 a month.. for six months then it's £15 and there is still the £15.99 line rental on top of that. So he's going to buy it for her for just £7.50 a month.. thats a big commitment for any student considering the real cost is going to be £31 a month after six months.
Then we have Sky, TalkTalk and others all saying that their WIRELESS broadband is better than the others because it has a better range. REALITY CHECK BROADBAND HAS NO RANGE. It's the router / wifi AP that has the range and anyone can buy one of these from anywhere. It's nothing to do with the ISP or their special signal at all. It's just down to which ISP will provide the best quality router at the lowest price they can supply it for which the customer still pays.
They're all misleading but thats how this country functions. Every company is trying a con of some sort some how.
This is slightly off topic but if you have a BT Line and can get PN broadband can you not also get a PN Phone line (paying in advance to make it cheaper) and then get BT Broadband ?
Community Veteran

I don't think BT do 'Broadband only' - if they do then they hide it well as they want your line rental too.
Plusnet don't do 'home phone only'.
Call me 'w23'
nanotm
Pro

its because most isp's are able to provide you with internet so long as you have a BT line, some offer incentives (like lower prices) for you to swap your phone over to them, others don't want the phone side of the business
as such offering internet tariffs with a really low "from" price is perfectly acceptable practice (and years ago your only choice was what ISP to use since you either had cable or BT[apart from Hull])
as for what is counted as fibre optic service, its got two defined standards FTTP(H) and FTTC, so whilst you may not agree that FTTC counts as a fibre service you would be incorrect in your assertions, (even if its a poor cousin to FTTP) since it does utilise fibre optic to do the leg work whilst copper is used for the final leap from the cabinet.
the only way you could be considered correct is if BT wired your home direct to the exchange and fed you exclusively through copper from the exchange (which is what DSL is) fibre services utilise VDSL, even people with FTTP have VDSL modems .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

You should try one day to experience the difference between a 50+ mbps direct fibre internet connect and a VDSL copper connect. You'd then understand what I'm talking about.
I reject your argument  nanotm - the service is either optical fibre or it isn't, as in copper VDSL
It's a bit like saying we have a RollsRoyce delivery service when the last 250 metres is actually a handcart.
CX
Grafter

Note to self, move over to BT Infinity and gain ditzy girlfriend with dubious choices in music.