Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advert help

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Advert help

I am setting up a laptop for a friend.
They purchased a Leveno Thinkpad X61 from a web site, it was advertised as having a DVD rom drive, but doesn't. What is the legal stand on this? Can we negotiate a discount or why?
The seller has offered a full refund if returned.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Advert help

Legally you can return it for a full refund with postage charges covered if it is not as described.
As far as I know the seller does not have to offer more than this.
Personally I'd try and negotiate a partial refund for the cost of either purchasing a separate external DVD drive or an internal one. You can pick up a DVD/RW with Bluray player for <£20 delivered off Ebay at the moment.
*Edit - this is what I use for messing about on laptops which have dodgy internal drives and also use it for my server to "import" bluray stuff
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-USB-2-0-Slim-Blu-Ray-Drive-Player-BD-ROM-DVD-RW-Drive-CD-RW-Burne...
Community Veteran

Interestingly it comes with a Powre cable  Wink
I have a spare external DVD drive that I made from a case and an old l/t dvd, and all my BR are data disks no movies.
Community Veteran

You can reject the laptop as not being as described.  If you don't really need the DVD drive you might be able to get a discount.  If you purchased over the internet you can reject the item under the Distant selling regs  within 7 days of receipt without giving a reason.  If you are returning the laptop check the seller's rules on return postage.  This may not be covered and you will have to pay it.
Community Veteran

They offered to collect and refund.