Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance Australia Fair.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Advance Australia Fair.

Australia considers banning ISPs from listing internet speeds they cannot provide.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/2/17071380/australia-isp-false-advertising-top-speeds-versus-average...

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
10 REPLIES
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advance Australia Fair.

Or maybe not so fair.

Fixes: 238

Moderator's note:

Two posts removed that added nothing to the discussion.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Anonymous wrote:

not so fair

Things are never as black and white as painted.

Depends on who is doing the painting, their perspective.

And the relative time period.

I imagine there must be a wide range of speeds in Oz. Maybe they're considered lucky to be within ten miles of the nearest cabinet.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Indeed @billnotben but the point of the story was not promising or implying (that 'up to' speed offered) and knowingly not being able to deliver. We've all been there - well I have anyway. 

I'm now on FTTP now but I do not feel it's all it's cracked up to be and sure, it's better than the 3mbps I was getting for months on end but it still buffers on occasion and even hangs up - so no change there and maybe they are still ironing out the wrinkles.

It takes time for many of us to come to realise we live in a land of robbers and opportunists so is it any wonder we get even more cynical the older we get but, l can look on the bright side in that with VOIP installed I am no longer shackled by that monthly phone bill and now have the ability to make a half hour call to New Zealand for example for only 45p - which is better than a poke in the eye as they say with a pointed stick. Wink 

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

I'm now on FTTP now but I do not feel it's all it's cracked up to be and sure, it's better than the 3mbps I was getting for months on end but it still buffers on occasion and even hangs up - so no change there and maybe they are still ironing out the wrinkles.

I'm also on FTTP and can honestly say the only buffering I ever experience is on devices connected to my router via Wi-Fi  or powerline connectors, never on the Ethernet connected ones.

However, even though I'm on FTTP I no longer seem to be able to manage to get the speeds I did earlier.  When I started I was on 40/20 Mbps and I almost always achieved those speeds, then I changed to 80/20 Mbps which for a while was also easily achievable but is now less reliably so.  Speed tests can be a little erratic so I'm guessing I'm experiencing congestion somewhere in the system.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@RobPN

I did wonder if congestion was an issue as neighbours each side both had FTTP installed almost immediately after I told them it was now available. Maybe I should not have said anything Wink

PS. Download test (for what it's worth) nearly 30mbps, upload rubbish as expected.

RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

... l can look on the bright side in that with VOIP installed I am no longer shackled by that monthly phone bill and now have the ability to make a half hour call to New Zealand for example for only 45p ...

As much as that?!!!

You could make the same length of call to NZ for only 18p if you used DiscountVoip !

Ignore the bit on that page where it says " Please note that you will be charged a set up fee of 5 pence on phone-to-phone calls." as you aren't charged that for normal dialled calls (at least I've not been charged), I think that applies to a facility whereby you can set up a call between 2 telephone numbers via the website.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Cheers @RobPN I'll check that out Thumbs Up

RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman

I use DiscountVoip but not for calling that type of number, but just use it for calling UK mobiles at 0.36p incl VAT (yes, that's no typo, about a third of a penny) per minute.

For NZ type calls (Australia in my case) I use FreeVoipDeal which is "Free".  OK, you have to credit your account with a minimum of 10Euros, but you then get 120 'Freedays' during which you can make "Free" calls to many destinations including UK standard 01,02,03 numbers.  There is a fair usage gotcha of 300 "Free" minutes per rolling 7 days but that covers all my calls.  The 10 Euros isn't touched unless you make non-standard chargeable calls e.g. mobiles, 0845 etc., go over the 300 minutes, another user makes a concurrent call, or you run out of Freedays.

At that point you can either use the money to pay for your calls at low rates or put another 10 Euros on your account to get another 120 Freedays.  There is a nice advantage to not using the money but putting another 10 Euros on in that you can use the money accrued on the account to buy credit for your mobile phone, albeit costing you 14.60 Euros to buy £10 mobile credit.  However, it's a bit like spending your money twice, or as those Europeans don't like, having your cake and eating it!Edit;

PS  There's no need to mess about when you use multiple VoIP accounts for different destinations provided your equipment has the facility to set up Dialling Rules.  Just set some up and let the equipment route the calls according to the number dialled.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

The cards you can buy from newsagents etc. used to give you calls to the US, Canada, Australia, NZ, and a few other countries at 1p/min.  Even my BT Broadband Talk line allowed me to call a lot of countries at 1.25p/min. whilst calling my neighbour downstairs would cost me 9p/min.