cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adolf Hitler - 68 years on....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Adolf Hitler - 68 years on....

Whilst I do admit to really enjoying watching the old WW2 war films, especially those regarding "naval" exploits, I do find it " a bit weird" that we Brits still seem to be obsessed with Hitler, as a means of entertainment...  I don`t mean that in a "funny ha ha " way... but in the number of repeats of programmes which particularly portray him, his leadership, and his immediate "subordinates".... rather than the " war in general" ... There still seems to be a lot of film archive being shown, and re-shown, about him, and I often wonder if German TV do the opposite, and show archive film of Churchill, and his subordinates... (Probably not,.... but not because they lost the war... more likely, because they want to "move on" and create a different Germany to what we get shown on our TV).... Must be very hard for the German people.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Adolf Hitler - 68 years on....

I must admit I still don't understand the German fixation with  Freddie Frinton in 'Dinner for One'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner_for_One
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't understand any of the fascination with any of WW2 to be honest. It happened so long ago now that I think Britain needs to move on. There are still remnants of it in Germany such as railway bridges that once went over what are now Autobahns that now have huge gaps and are quite clearly leftover but other than that, most stuff I've driven past in Germany looked a lot more modern than most of the UK.
I don't understand this fascination with Hitler either. He's even been on Doctor Who - why? He wasn't a hero, he was a mass murderer yet we're obsessed with the bloke. As always seems to be the way though, the closer you are to the top of society the more you seem to get away with. Hitler was never brought to trial was he? Along those lines, will Rupert Murdoch ever be prosecuted after this investigation and committee of MPs? No. Jimmy Saville has also got away with his acts though the odd politician may now suffer another parliamentary investigation that will lead to nothing.
Funny old world.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

It's a lot worse in B movies. The current fascination seems to be vampires, zombies, and Nazis.
One video I watched recently had a combination of Nazi zombies.
It was actually quite funny especially when Hitlers frozen head was brought back to life and stuck on top of a robot body.
Who thinks these things up.
Fixes: 125

I think that was Nazis at the Center of the Earth.
Oh boy, utter rubbish that you just have to keep watching just to see how bad it can get.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Its all sad but its also intresting i sometimes like to watch stuff like that, not because i like to see death but im intrested in the history of it all. altho i know it happened its somtimes had to take on board that these things did happen.
Do any of you ever ask yourself what the point of us being here is ? I mean the day we are born is the day we die ... how exciting is that
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Fixes: 125

Well, one thing I do know is that if we weren't here there'd be no PlusNet forums. How sad would that be...?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: ukste20
Do any of you ever ask yourself what the point of us being here is ? I mean the day we are born is the day we die ... how exciting is that

I frequently wonder to be honest. I've always thought we're supposed to have the right to enjoy our lives yet the more I think about it the more I realise that many of us are in the #### and are not allowed to achieve anything in life either for political, financial or other reasons.
It frequently makes me wonder what the point is. Our past generations fought for our freedom nd sacrificed their lives fighting for it yet today we're ruled by money and Angela Merkel  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

I feel it's now time for a sing song  Cool
Anyone remember http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate_the_Positive
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

What.... Do you mean this one....

Wow... didn`t we have fun, enjoying "pop" music, way back then......... Roll eyes

Bing Crosby and The Andrews Sisters made a recording on December 8, 1944, which was released by Decca Records as catalog number 23379. The record first reached the Billboard magazine charts on January 25, 1945 and lasted nine weeks on the chart, peaking at number 2.

nadger
Rising Star

I actually saw The Andrews Sisters at Talk of the Town in London - must have been about 1958  Roll eyes