Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admiral car insurance

HelloDuck
Pro
Fixes: 2

Admiral car insurance

Admiral car insurance is giving a £25 refund to customers as cars and vans sit idle in the coronavirus pandemic.

The payment will be paid automatically to anyone with a car or van insurance policy with Admiral on 20 April.

Other insurers are under pressure to follow suit.

I will not hold my breath just wondering if others will follow.

HD

4 REPLIES 4
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Admiral car insurance

Might have been more fair if the refund was based on a percentage of your premium.

No doubt a few others will follow with some kind of offer...ie: Renew with us next time and we will not increase your premium 

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm sure it would be relatively easy for some clever person to make a script that will check a policyholder against the DVLA database for being sorned. You can't expect a full months refund for each month under sorn as you will still want your car covered for theft and such like. Plus, if you are parked on a public road you would still need insurance, but then, your car shouldn't have a sorn on it!

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Surprised Admiral are giving away money to its car policy holders, wonder if there trying to build brand image / goodwill?

As for the SORN issue, this keeps coming up on the internet & I wonder how many people out there are claiming SORN without removing there vehicle from the public road?

Low tax vehicles owners are also unlikely bother to claim SORN - I wouldn't for the £20 yearly tax on my car & it is parked off the public highway.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Marksfish wrote:

I'm sure it would be relatively easy for some clever person to make a script that will check a policyholder against the DVLA database for being sorned. You can't expect a full months refund for each month under sorn as you will still want your car covered for theft and such like. Plus, if you are parked on a public road you would still need insurance, but then, your car shouldn't have a sorn on it!

Moons ago I decided to do such a thing using cURL (part of php programming) submitting my registration to the askMID site each day at 8am. In testing it occurred to me that a token value in their form kept changing. Eventually i got the code right and it worked perfectly. I must have tested it around 120 times... Next day they went and introduced a captcha and rendered my efforts completely useless -presumably having seen their site being hammered repeatedly..

As for being insured for theft, there is such a thing as laid up cover which covers the vehicle for theft and damage but not actual use on the highway. Not many insurers offer it but it is available. I only found out about it from an old friend who is a qualified motor insurance underwriter, he later moving into fraud.

@gleneagles wrote:

No doubt a few others will follow with some kind of offer...ie: Renew with us next time and we will not increase your premium 

Funny you say that, last "insurance year" I had an accident. First one in a decade, right on xmas and it was my fault. Worst timing ever but hey ho. I'm just glad i didn't fork out the excess to repair the car i was driving - a couple of months later the autobox packed up after going through a large puddle.

Anyway.. there was me thinking drat.. that'll be the premium shooting up then..

Renewal docs came through to remind me, rang them up, got chatting with the fella on the phone, next thing i know he's DROPPED IT below my current premium! I didn't even try to haggle like most years (when they then insist they can't do any better). Only a small amount, £20 or so i think but still cheaper than last year and that's with the recent at-fault claim on record. I was pretty gobsmacked to be honest.

So I then asked them about putting the other car back on the road - it used to cost stupid money as it's a 2.5L jobbie. He only quoted me even lower on that! I asked him why as it's a much more powerful enginevs the 1.8 i currenlty use. He said that it's not as new and that their quotes become cheaper the older the vehicle gets. The missus has been dead set against me putting any real effort into putting it back on the road for ages. I told her it would be cheaper and didn't meet any resistance lol. Only reason i've not done it is because the lock down is on and i can't get things like a decent battery, ATF, Oil etc. Oh yes and i think the head gasket has gone and might need another engine 🤐

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!