cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding to wash cycle

Fixes: 125

Adding to wash cycle

While discussing a replacement washing machine SWMBO was telling me how she could stop the wash cycle to open the door (front loader) to add more washing on our current one.
Obviously she would need to do this early on or anything added wouldn't get the full wash.
[quote=From the manual]To open the door while a cycle is in progress, press the START/PAUSE button; if the DOOR LOCKED symbol is switched off the door may be opened. Press the START/PAUSE button again to restart the wash cycle from the point at which it was interrupted. (my bold)
How can this be done it has taken in water?
I am assuming that the word 'if' means that there would be times within the cycle that the door cannot be opened but SWMBO insists that once it has started taking in water the door can be opened to add more washing. I'm thinking this is another fault in the machine?
Any views from those in the know?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Adding to wash cycle

Dunno... never tried it... but have often wanted to ..... to add that odd sock, that fell out of the pile and didn`t notice !...
I suspect, from the instruction.... that... on pressing the "stop/pause" button,... this stops the drum rotating... and sloshing the water and washing around.
The level of water would (probably) be, below the rim of the opening, when the drum had stopped rotating...
also there is usually a "pause" period ( probably 30 to 60 seconds) after the stop/pause button is activated,...
similar to the "end of wash" pause before it is possible to open the door to remove the finished wash....
TORPC
Grafter

Then there is the dreaded, long wait of 1 - 2 minutes for the door safety lock to be released
No good if one is is in a rush Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ TORPC.... please re-read the last line of the previous post  Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
How can this be done it has taken in water?
Ours allows that, it's a John Lewis model if it makes any difference.
There's a water level sensor and it won't open if the water is too high, though on most programs it never is during the wash phase.
Ours needs replacing too, it's started to go "loopy" - I think the controller is faulty as all individual sub-programs generally work, but long full programs just seem to "die out", so there's no obvious component or function that isn't working.  Crazy
TORPC
Grafter

@Shutter
I was referring to my make / model of machine, from experience Wink
I have heard that some takes up to 3 mins for the door safety lock to be released (never seen it myself though)