cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ad Blockers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ad Blockers

I followed a link to the Guardian newspaper website to read an article this morning. I noted a small pop-up at the bottom of the screen announcing: "We notice you've got an ad-blocker switched on. Perhaps you'd like to support the Guardian another way..." What will it take for the media to realise the reason why people use ad-blockers? It is to prevent intrusive advertisements which either dominate the screen, use flicker techniques to attract your eye, or are so poorly written that their code hogs cpu resources.  I have no problem in paying a fair amount (micro-fee) to to use a news website, provided they don't try to lock me into a regular subscription.
I know advertisers can help pay for such news media websites, indeed I make money via Google on my professional blog site.. However if adverts were discrete on web pages I wouldn't have used an ad-blocker, but because of bad behaviour by some advertisers I choose to use one.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Ad Blockers

if the adverts were discrete then they would work as an advert.
you must remember that the guardian is a business, it's not there to provide content for free.
so they have two options
1) charge you for access to the website (just like they charge you for a newspaper
2) provide free access to the website but show adverts that pay the required amount to cover the service
you running an adblocker is depriving them of that income, so essentially you are stealing the content.
i have no qualms about a website either blocking access completely if it detects an adblocker (which some do) or simply showing a prompt advising what the guardian has done in this instance.
i use an adblocker, but i realise what it does and don't complain if any website decides to limit my access due to that.
if you don't like the guardians way of doing things then you are free to get your news elsewhere.
Community Veteran

And
3) Don't have a website.
But then they would lose the opportunity to indoctrinate readers around to their views and opinions.
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

A website I regularly frequent quite often replaces it's ads for pictures like this in their advertising space.

They're not very invasive with their advertising either, so I keep it switched off for them.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Community Veteran

@chenks As mentioned in my original post. I'm willing to make a micropayment for the one off use of an article, however I don't subscribe to the Guardian as a whole because its product as a whole does not appeal to me. The point is I'm unwilling to facilitate invasive advertising, if they controlled that by inserting some ethics into the the way the adverts are displayed they'd make more income from the adverts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

they can't charge on a "by article" basis, that would be ludicrous.
you can't go into a newsagents and say "can you give me page 7 from the guardian please, and here's 0.001p for your trouble", so why you you think you could do that on a website.
with regards to changing the advertising model, well the current model clearly works for them otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.
some might say that the increasing use of adblockers is actually making intrusive advertising worse as the number of people seeing them gets lower so they have to make sure they are seen by any means possible.
as i said, if you don't like the means of delivery the product then don't use it. no-one is being forced to use any particular website, or buy any particular newspaper.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: MattyC
A website I regularly frequent quite often replaces it's ads for pictures like this in their advertising space.

They're not very invasive with their advertising either, so I keep it switched off for them.

Ironically that picture is adblocked on my laptops... Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
they can't charge on a "by article" basis, that would be ludicrous....

Why would it be ludicrous? Your vision is limited to the old print style subscriptions. It's a bit like going into a sweet shop and having to buy the whole range of confectionery when all you wanted was a Mars Bar.
It is perfectly feasible to have a low cost electronic purse on the Internet where 0.5 pence is deducted when you first read an article.
Community Veteran

what really gets me, is the obscene amount of trackers on websites now days, it can easily triple a website load time due to all the extra dns lookups etc.
For me get rid of all the trackers, google analystics, and in video adverts, then I might get rid of my filters.