cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actors & Actresses

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Actors & Actresses

I often wonder, when watching films, or Emmerdale, ( the only soap I watch ! ! ! --   [ yeah, I know... get a life ! ]  ). how "true to life" the characters are, in real life, compared to what/who they portray in their acting career.

E.G.  Cain Dingle.... the notorious, but loveable (?) bad guy in Emmerdale,.. he has "the look" of a guy who would rather nut you , than say "yes please" to the offer of a pint ...  could he be "that kind of person" in his real life, ... ( or was he, before he got into "acting" as a career... 

I know that "classical" actors, do try to do some research into the kind of person they are portraying, e.g. an archbishop from history, or a king, or even the sheriff of notingham... so that they can be more "authentic" in their acting portrayal... but do these "bad guys" do the same... 

Some how I can`t imaging Cain Dingle, as a "nice guy"  ... ( although he probably is..... ! )..

37 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: Actors & Actresses

I remember watching an interview a few years ago with an film actor (can't recall who at the moment) who played some pretty hard characters in films but admitted he was nothing like that in real life and would run away rather than fight.

Some (maybe a lot) of soap actors just appear to play themselves as they seem to be the same whether they appear in Emmerdale, Coronation Street or Eastenders.

Some, like Danny Dyer seem to act the same no matter what part they play on TV or in filmsRoll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

That's because the majority of them are talentless and being yourself doesn't require it!

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I'm afraid soaps for all their past enjoyments have now become too politically correct to bother with - one can only swallow so much.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I guess acting is like many other jobs with actors ranging from excellent to atrocious.

I suspect the top actors are nothing like their real selves, their skill is making you believe in the role they are playing which can leave you thinking are they really like that on the otherhand I suspect some poor actors can get taken over by the role they are playing and continue to play it in real life as some people having seen them in that role react to them as if they were really like that.

Not uncommon for those playing medical staff to be approached by people asking them for medical advice.

According to shakespear we are all actors playing various roles in life,

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I was watching one of them "Comedy Links" things the other day on Red Dwarf, and there was a quote about Craig Charles saying he didn't want to be typecast as a slob (as Lister, the character he plays, is) while dipping a sausage into some spilled mustard on a canteen table and shoving the whole thing in his gob... Funny

Community Veteran

I’ve been giving this a bit more thought @shutter regarding your comment on Cain Dingle et al, and I think what lets a soap down now is the fact that they are not really, really true to real life.

We’ve all met the likes of Cain in real life and and as you rightly say, they would probably be more inclined to part with a Glasgow Kiss than a normal one, but doesn’t the time these soaps air restrict this reality and stifle the real life that is the east end of London or Glasgow?

Speaking of which, there’s a soap (on BBC Scotland) called River City that’s meant to be about the lives of those living in a community somewhere in Glasgow, but for the few minutes I have seen it there is no real Glasgow banter (i.e. name calling and swearing).

Maybe if these were shown post watershed with more than a hint of realism thrown in they may well be worth a viewing.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

i remember when Emmerdale was a "family" show ! ... but for the past couple of years, it seems to have got more X-rated than ever... there doesn`t seem to be any respect for the "so-called" 9pm watershed ...

some of the storylines are so ridiculous, that you know it is just script writers writing for viewing ratings, and not to give any credence to how a village like Emmerdale actually is..

Yeah, I`v no doubt there are " dodgy " people doing "dodgy" things in every neighbourhood, but surely there are some "nice people"  ( like me ) that live there too ! .

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Emmerdale ?

I spent years wandering around Yorkshire and never found it.

Perhaps it's like Brigadoon, only appearing once in a hundred years.

Cheesy

It's the number of deaths per year in these soaps that get me...

If it was real life you just wouldn't want to live there and take the riskTongue

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I assume from that comment @Mav they have a hint of Midsomer about them? It's probably like knowing Jessica Fletcher (Murder she Wrote) you know deep down that given time you're getting it.

@Mook

On the other hand how many 'dead' characters have come backRoll eyes

Community Veteran

Ah Yes, Harold Bishop and Bobby Ewing spring to mind. Funny

Community Veteran

While I agree most soap stars are just like the characters they play I do remember Jeff Hordley (Cain) being interviewed on the telly and he seemed the complete opposite of Cain.

But on the whole the main skill belongs to the casting director.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mav wrote:

@Mook

On the other hand how many 'dead' characters have come backRoll eyes

Like Kim Tate in emmerdale years ago. That was an awesome comeback.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!