cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acrophobia

Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25,784
Thanks: 1,133
Fixes: 47
Registered: 14-04-2007

Acrophobia

I have just returned from a trip to Blackpool, more specifically the Blackpool Tower.
I walked on the Sky Walk which is a large glass floor 380 feet above the road.
I'm very bad with heights and to stand on a sheet of glass watching the traffic pass by so far below is a major triumph for me.
The side wall is also glass but I drew the line at leaning against it.
How would you fare in such a situation and have you actually done it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 38,251
Thanks: 937
Fixes: 56
Registered: 15-06-2007

Re: Acrophobia

Very badly
Two examples
A glass floored platform sticking out over a sheer drop in the Blue Mountains near Sydney
An open mesh platform at the top of a structure in a steelworks which also flexed as you walked on it
Yes I did the second because it was needed for the job and I didn't do the first because I didn't need to
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,322
Thanks: 467
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Re: Acrophobia

You didn't want to do a "Gary Hoy"
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Posts: 1,770
Thanks: 33
Fixes: 1
Registered: 08-10-2010

Re: Acrophobia

Not very well.
I never used to afraid of heights, but after an experience many years ago I break out in a sweat at the thought.
I worked for Dynorod and was asked to inspect the gutters of an aircraft hangar,which were blocked.  With no fear I climbed the ladder to the top, without any harness. No problem. Then as I walked the wooden boards on the gantry, one broke and I fell...catching myself with one hand. I pulled myself up and straddled the metal side bars back to the ladder.  I then went home to change my pants! Cry Cry
Years later I was in the TA, in the artillery,and as OP I had to go in helicopters several times, this I found exhilarating!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Infinity
Pro
Posts: 5,601
Thanks: 148
Fixes: 2
Registered: 19-06-2011

Re: Acrophobia

Quote from: Strat
I have just returned from a trip to Blackpool, more specifically the Blackpool Tower.
I walked on the Sky Walk which is a large glass floor 380 feet above the road.
I'm very bad with heights and to stand on a sheet of glass watching the traffic pass by so far below is a major triumph for me.
The side wall is also glass but I drew the line at leaning against it.
How would you fare in such a situation and have you actually done it.

A few years back, recording an item on Blackpool Tower, we flew around the top of the Tower in a Helicopter, now that was scary !!
Closely circled the Tower for a few minutes, doors wide open, we were all strapped in, and had obtained permission to do so.
Looking down........ NO Glass Floor !

Done a few "Glass Floors"
Scariest / best was the CN Tower in Toronto, pics below
(Blackpool Tower is 158mts high, Eiffel Tower is 301mts high, CN Tower is 553mts high)
(Broadcast Towers, Winter Hill is 309mts high, Emley Moor is 330mts high, they both are scary places, and move in the strong wind !)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2933043/1-084ft-high-60-mile-views-takes-EIGHT...
Community Veteran
Posts: 7,152
Thanks: 54
Fixes: 2
Registered: 30-08-2007

Re: Acrophobia

Er no thanks!! I get dizzy standing on the first step of a step-stool.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Posts: 7,923
Thanks: 600
Fixes: 8
Registered: 02-08-2007

Re: Acrophobia

Only thing that scares me is the cost of getting into some of the venues mentioned.
Wink
Infinity
Pro
Posts: 5,601
Thanks: 148
Fixes: 2
Registered: 19-06-2011

Re: Acrophobia

Don't look down !!!!!!!
Terrified tourists struggle to walk across China's new glass-bottom walkway suspended 600 FEET above the ground
New glass-bottomed suspension bridge has opened today at Shiniuzhai Geopark in Hunan, central China
It's the world's longest glass-bottomed walkway at 984 foot long and is 590 foot above the canyon below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3247347/Terrified-tourists-struggle-walk-China-...
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,923
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: Acrophobia

Glass floors? No thanks...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,322
Thanks: 467
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Re: Acrophobia

A lot of my misspent youth  involved climbing rock faces where humans were not supposed to be,  so normally heights don't bother me.  For a while I worked in New York City before Osama Bin Laden had the World Trade Centre remodelled. I remember going to the visitor centre at the top of the WTC and looking down on helicopters flying below. You know the glass is safe, but you did't want to lean against it. 
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,923
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: Acrophobia

I first posted this moons ago.. and its been posted numerous times since but if you really want to experience vertigo on your computer screen and some dizzying heights, this radio tower servicing video is a good one to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_h2AjJaMw
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 1,078
Thanks: 67
Fixes: 1
Registered: 04-06-2009

Re: Acrophobia

Went up the Sky tower in Auckland 328mtrs in a lift with a glass floor. I wanted to do the Skyjump but my hubby wouldn't let me.  Sad
Infinity
Pro
Posts: 5,601
Thanks: 148
Fixes: 2
Registered: 19-06-2011

Re: Acrophobia

Quote from: PlusComUK
Don't look down !!!!!!!
Terrified tourists struggle to walk across China's new glass-bottom walkway suspended 600 FEET above the ground
New glass-bottomed suspension bridge has opened today at Shiniuzhai Geopark in Hunan, central China
It's the world's longest glass-bottomed walkway at 984 foot long and is 590 foot above the canyon below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3247347/Terrified-tourists-struggle-walk-China-...


Tourists are left screaming in terror after a brand new glass-bottom walkway CRACKS under their feet at 3,540 ft high in China
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3261778/Tourists-left-screaming-terror-brand-ne...
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,547
Thanks: 193
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Acrophobia

Spectacular view from the Grand Canyon.
Grand Canyon
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,599
Thanks: 753
Fixes: 3
Registered: 06-11-2014

Re: Acrophobia

Quote from: PlusComUK
Tourists are left screaming in terror after a brand new glass-bottom walkway CRACKS under their feet at 3,540 ft high in China
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3261778/Tourists-left-screaming-terror-brand-ne...

"Made in China"