cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accountable government

Community Veteran

Accountable government

Don't you just love this government?  Thursday was a busy day in the Commons.  In the afternoon there was the statement on Heathrow followed by an statement on Equitable Life.  After this there was a major debate on Gaza.  
Whilst all this was going on the government sneaked out an announcement that MPs expenses would not be subject to public scrutiny as originally planned but would be kept private.  The announcement was deliberately times to try to prevent it being made too public.  Another example of open, accountable government Angry
5 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: Accountable government

Hmmm, the phrase gravy train comes to mind.
Maybe I should become an MP, beats working for a living  Smiley
I would make a point of opening my books to my constituents though and keep my costs down to give them good value for money
Community Veteran

They certainly don't need a salary with the expenses some of them get.  In 2007 Labour minister Shahid Malik claimed the most at £185,421.  How can anyone justify this amount?
He would need all his time just to fill out his claims form Wink
techguy
Grafter

I was listening to radio 4 once and they said that, for example they awarded themselves £10,000 in communication expenses, I mean, were they using a satellite phone to communicate with their constituents from their yacht in the Bahamas or what?
Community Veteran

Funny you mention communication but I've had 2 letters from my MP this week.  Both were updates on problems I'd written to him about in the past.  Maybe he suspects a General Election on the horizon Wink Wink
techguy
Grafter

Probably