Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing the internet

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Accessing the internet

Explanation in previous post
This locked thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130352.0.html
jim:green Link added mod:end
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Accessing the internet

I see you are ignoring the Mac users - good thing too  Grin
Do you want something adding or changing
Fixes: 125

My main use is always a Windows PC as it offers the easiest upgrade options, is very powerful and has two monitors. I couldn't edit video on a tablet or phone and struggle on a laptop.
Having said that I use the android phone for a few games particularly when in bed, can't sleep and SWMBO mustn't be disturbed Wink
The tablet ,only bought a couple of weeks ago, is invaluable when away from the PC (garden, waiting for SWMBO at the shops, or even early morning before I get up) for quick checking on emails and browsing but mainly for catching up on reading/viewing my OU coursework.
The laptop doesn't get as much use these days but it does come in handy when the PC is running full blast on video rendering. I also take it with me when staying at my mum's for more than a couple of days where it becomes my main PC.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Can't  select multiple options, and there's no smartphone category.
Community Veteran

Must admit I was not too sure of what I was getting into with this poll as other possible options have also been mentioned.
TORPC
Grafter

I think ipad & Android should be separated, since they are different platforms
Mulitiple options would be better
& a choice for each member of the household & or PN staff Tongue
& a choice for work (if allowed to connect @ work for non work related reasons/ that is) as in B.Y.O.D.T.W (Bring Your Own Device To Work)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

maybe should of been
Desktop
laptop
Handheld device Smiley

i have Desktop main , then Laptop + smart TV  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Steve
Pro

I connect my Router to the interwebz so sadly I cant vote Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I connect my modem to the internet !  Crazy
My internet gateway router has more CPU horsepower and more RAM than any other computer in my house !  Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

lol @ M Steve.. technically though he's absolutely right!
I use a desktop PC most of the time but the last few weeks I've taken a break from it and used the netbook a bit more. Must be said though, desktop PCs are far more practical for many things as mav points out. Not only can you upgrade them and customise them but they're more practical with a full size keyboard and mouse. Although the desktop PC market is in decline, I don't think we'll see it vanish for a very long time.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Quote from: 7up
Although the desktop PC market is in decline, I don't think we'll see it vanish for a very long time.
Amen to that.
Although I can imagine prices rising as demand falls Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I cant get on with mini pc's that well personally, the wife OTOH prefers using her surface (but she has little fingers) she did try using both droid and ipad's but didn't like them at all (which is somewhat odd given they all use some form of tile in order to operate ) but hey-ho
I cant see desktop's dying off either 7up, there is too much money in components and desktops do a lot more than tablets, never mind that any serious gear head likes to be able to modify there rig without needing a degree in electronics a magnifier and super fine soldering kit .... the market for them might have a slower turn over rrate than before but in all honesty that problably has more to do with the last decade's worth of cpu improvements having very little noticeable effect, the gfx cards and the monitors sure they got way better, but a p4 at 4Ghz isn't that much different than an i7 @3Ghz which is in large part why the hardware market has slowed down to the expected 5+ years / as it breaks cycle for replacing systems
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Looking at the results to date it appears the vast majority use desktop computers to access the internet and it would also be reasonable to say virtually all of those voting in the poll had a fair to high level of knowledge about computing and the internet.
If this is the case would it be reasonable to assume that far from desktops declining in popularity the current decline may only be temporary and the desktop may increase in popularity once again ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Probably not
The fact is that people aren't replacing desktops with anything like the frequency they used to as the power on a typical modern desktop will handle most normal uses (except gaming)
Consider that I built my better half's computer in 2006 and it wasn't too powerful then.
All it has needed is a bit more memory and a new hard drive (you have no idea how much she has put on it. Digital photography has a lot to answer for and 200GB really didn't cut it.)
She now has a tablet and uses it a lot but not for real computing.
TORPC
Grafter

It may depend on how microsot plays nicely with windows 9 Wink