cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abolition of line charges, well not really.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Abolition of line charges, well not really.

Vodafone abolishes line charges, (well sort of).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37021766

We all knew it was coming only a matter of time.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Title changed by OP's request

33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Abolishon of line charges, well not really.

The final part of the article says users may not be paying much less but even a few pounds a month adds up so £ 24 a year is better in my pocket than some other firms pocket providing the level of service is maintained.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

As you rightly say @gleneagles it may only be £2pm but that's £2pm in your pocket and not theirs. I wonder how long it will take the mainstream ISPs to jump on this particular bandwagon.

Community Veteran

That article said:

Vodafone's lack of content still represents a huge headache for the company as all of its rivals are bundling entertainment, movies and sports with their broadband deals

They are? - Well what are plusnet flaming providing us with then?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

The article has a bit more detail, http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/broadband/vodafone-fibre-broadband-now-gives-you-line-rental-...

Vodafone's basic package, Unlimited Fibre 38, will run you to £25 per month but obviously there's no line rental on top of that now (and those who already have a mobile contract with the network can get it for £22 per month).

If you want to double up your speeds to Unlimited Fibre 76 (which is up to 76Mbps), you won't pay much more at £28 per month all-in (although there is a £49 one-off fibre connection fee for these FTTC packages for new customers).

And

Note that you'll still pay line rental on Vodafone's standard DSL service – Unlimited Standard Broadband 17 costs £22 per month, £18 of which is line rental.

Community Veteran

When firms reduce prices something has to give, so who suffers the most ?

Rearrange the following into the correct order,

1. Share holders

2. Customers with cheaper services but poorer customer support and more internet problems.

3. Staff with increased workloads and cuts in training.

4. CEO who has to explain if profits are down.

5. Openreach.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

"To be clear, Vodafone isn't really abolishing line rental charges, it's simply combining the charge into its fibre pricing," said broadband expert Ewan Taylor-Gibson from uSwitch.

Shop around for a new broadband deal, and you can easily miss the fact that there's something nasty hidden beneath an attractive offer - the chunky monthly line rental fee.

----------------------

This may be the start of something Smiley   while i agree you have to have the phone line for the BB , BUT if your dont use the PHONE !  you should only pay a percentage of the line rental

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

But once October comes around, then all ISP's must show the total cost including line rental in all adverts and websites. So Vodafone are getting in early and getting some free publicity. Clever thinking from their marketing department.

I bet you cannot get a free phone line for voice only from them Smiley

Community Veteran

It only goes to show that ISP's still don't get it.

All Vodafone have announced is more of the same old tosh just with a different spin on it.

I predict that plusnet will soon be announcing something similar.

Another something that we will get free, something that we won't have to pay for, something that we will actually be paying for.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's kind of ironic they're "scrapping" the line rental charge on their broadband, because when I last had a mobile product from them, they charged a "line rental" on the bill, no other mobile provider did that because, funnily enough, you weren't renting any lines... Funny

bogga
Dabbler

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra is £19.99
+
Line Rental £17.99 from 1st September 2016

Total: £37.98

And from Vodaphone broadband the equivalent would be:
Unlimited Fibre 76
£28 a month

Over 18months that's a saving of £179.64!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

or in reality you're still paying £18pm on line rental, but they're just heavily subsidising the broadband fee to £10pm.
which then begs the question, to facilitate this subsidy where are they cutting corners. it'll be customer support

i notice that, when i looked at the vodafone site i couldn't see the upstream listed anywhere.

bogga
Dabbler

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

i'd like to see it written on the vodafone website though.
pantsman28
Grafter

ironic really. we barely ever have our phone turned on let alone use it, especially when we get a 1200 minutes free call per month anytime with our mobiles, yet we have to pay Line Rental £17.99 from 1st September 2016 before we even pay for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra is £19.99.

In perspective we pay more for internet Total: £37.98 a month when 15 years ago the whole package was probably less than £22 and that was for 24mb adsl.

I would like to see a complete remodel of how these deals are put together and removing line rental like vodafone would make billing simple.