cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abolishing Road Tax.

JamesM
Grafter

Abolishing Road Tax.

I heard a few months back on the radio that the government cannot afford the up-keep of the roads around England. So as per Maggie Thatcher lets sell off another piece of England so foriegners can make money out of us.
The headlines in todays paper "lets abolish road tax". Doesn't take einstein to work out what is coming next does it, toll booths up and down the country owned by foriegners, charging us through the nose promising to up-keep the roads, then they go bankrupt and it is left to the tax payers to sort the mess out.
Maybe Branson will want to play brum brums next now he has lost his choo choo set ?
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Abolishing Road Tax.

Which paper is this in?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

This one........... Roll eyes

I heard a few months back on the radio

JamesM
Grafter

I saw the headlines in the Daily Express at my sisters. I didn't read the story, just saw the headlines.
http://www.express.co.uk/home
@shutter, since when has the radio been a newspaper, or are you insinuating I made it up   Roll eyes
The government are also wanting to build on the green belt, if this bill gets passed then it will be open for the government to sell off green belt land to foriegners who will no doubt chop down all the trees for lumber.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It was addressed to artmo !...  assuming he had not read the post properly ! ! ...  hence the "eyes"  Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

I don't know why they don't abolish the road tax and put it on the price at the pumps.
Then again they probably have but decided to keep the road tax going as a bonus.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Direct link to article:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/347695/Road-tax-to-be-scrapped
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
This one........... Roll eyes
I heard a few months back on the radio

Did it come from Marvin Gaye Smiley Smiley
kmilburn
Grafter

These papers really should keep up,  road tax was abolished in the 30's... 
Vehicle Excise Duty is a different issue!  But that doesn't seem to stop them confusing the issue...  Roll eyes
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I really don't see what the problem is ...
Vehicle Excise Duty is a baseline tax, and is quite low, in comparison to fuel costs.
We pay per mile anyway in Tax.
The more miles we travel, the more petrol we use, and the more Tax we pay.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: kmilburn
These papers really should keep up,  road tax was abolished in the 30's...  
Vehicle Excise Duty is a different issue!  But that doesn't seem to stop them confusing the issue...  Roll eyes

Well now that you've done your police duty on this forum I hope you enjoy the rest of your evening..
Quote from: PlusComUK
I really don't see what the problem is ...
Vehicle Excise Duty is a baseline tax, and is quite low.

Low? I have to pay £120 for 6 months! £240 per year. You call that low? All in one lump sum because the DVLA aren't as competant as the TV Licensing. I call it a power hungry government department trying to make life as hard as possible for the motorist.
What seriously is the point of VEL when they could just take it from the fuel anyway? - It's another additional tax we don't really need. It's a PITA trying to find the money in a lump sum like that when you're already struggling to survive below the breadline.
If you still think its low, you're more than welcome to send me a cheque for a years road tax (I take paypal too!)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

My runabout Town Car V.E.L. costs me £115 p.a. !
It's a large hatchback, fuel efficient, and goes like a rocket.
The Bentley costs a bit more !!

As above, the V.E.L. is actually a small proportion of the fuel costs for both cars.
I see no need to impose pay per mile, whether by Toll Booth, or GPS ( or other) means
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I was part of a small team in the DVLA which worked on a project to abolish Vehicle Excise duty back in 1975  We redesigned all of the forms and specified all of the program changes, but eventually the politicians/mandarins decided against the concept. You would have still been required to license your vehicle on an annual basis, because of the opportunity for officials to check the vehicle had valid insurance and MOT, but the tax element would have been reduced. The project would have made major savings in staff at the DVLA because of reduced transaction volumes.
There were two main obstacles:  people in the countryside would have paid more (tax shifted to fuel) and it would have caused unemployment in Swansea at a time when the Gov't had created jobs there to reduce the impact of the failing coal mining industry in the locality.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro

Very interesting.
nadger
Rising Star

In my 55 years of motoring I've lost count of the number of times this subject has been debated  Undecided
When I was doing about 60,000 miles a year I was opposed to additional tax being on fuel but now I only do about 3,000 so ............
Paid £115 this year - will be £120 next time.