cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abigail and other Named Storms on the Way

Community Veteran

Abigail and other Named Storms on the Way

Storm Abigail is heading for Scotland and Northern England. It looks a bad one Winds gusting at 90mph are expected. The Met Office has issued an Amber Alert.
Storm Abigail
dick:green Title changed as per OP request.
184 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Abigail is Coming

Dirty girl............ Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I've seen worse ( when they didn't call it anything ) I'm sure most on here have experienced far worse? nothing like the Americans mind you, they must be having a right laugh at our pretty little Abigail. Weathers bad here though, lights in the house been flickering earlier.
Community Veteran

Quote from: M
nothing like the Americans mind you, they must be having a right laugh at our pretty little Abigail.

My friend over in Texas sure is... Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: M
lights in the house been flickering earlier.
Could of been my old man though trying to make contact Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Looks to me as though she has been and gone... ( almost )

1200 surface pressure chart shows a "depression" to the west of Scotland... with associated cold fronts ( blue lines ) where the rainfall is...
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/satellite/UK.htm
Current rain radar pic..... just a bit of a damp patch passing through....   http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=
Last six hours animated satellite pics show those fronts have now almost cleared Scotland, and ar just "trailing" across northern England...
Might be some strong winds on the west coast...    (peak gusts chart ) .....  http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&CONT=ukuk&LAND=UK&REGION=0003&SORT=2&UD=0&INT=06&TYP=windspitzen&ART=karte&RUBRIK=akt&DATE=--&CEL=C&SI=mph
with associated big "Goffers" on the beaches and headlands...  
Community Veteran

We've started to name storms in the UK as they do in America. The Met Office asked for suggestions for Storm names.
Name that Storm
Names selected are:
Abigail, Barney, Clodagh, Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude, Henry, Imogen, Jake, Katie, Lawrence, Mary, Nigel, Orla, Phil, Rhonda, Steve, Tegan, Vernon and Wendy.
Community Veteran

No Quentin, Ursula, Xena, Yvette or Zalia?
Community Veteran

If you read the article you will see those letters have not been used.
Community Veteran

No real reason as to why other than to "conform to the US standard", what's next, driving on the right and filling up with gasoline? Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Where does Kate become Barney or does she retain her original name?
Kate’s remnants to succeed the UK’s first named winter storm, Abigail
Strong jet-stream winds are moving Kate into the central Atlantic, with a large nontropical center of low pressure located just west of Kate (see Figure 1). As Kate loses its tropical identity over the next 24 to 48 hours, the two cyclones will merge and continue racing east-northeast, ahead of a strengthening upper-level trough in the Northwest Atlantic. The combined system could bring strong winds and heavy rain to the British Isles late this weekend.
Community Veteran

I don't think so. I am guessing as Kate has already been named she will retain the name until she dies out. We will have to see Wink
Community Veteran

This article seems to suggest Kate and Abigail will retain their own identities.
Hurricane Kate has now been downgraded to an Extra-Tropical Storm as it races over the Atlantic towards us.
Latest News
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Abigail is Coming Followed by Kate

If you want storms try this. Biggest waves in the world in 2012 at the South Light in Fair Isle. Gets interesting around 0:45.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnIUkUU9o5Q
Community Veteran

Re: Abigail is Coming Followed by Kate

Wow!! They're some waves. I wonder if the lighthouse and the accommodation is manned Undecided