cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aargh trains!

N/A

Aargh trains!

Currently waiting for a train to Leeds. I have an exam booked at 10.30. Missed the 9.30 train due to a group of people discussing travel options for an entirely different journey to the one they are making today.
Next train (9.44) has been cancelled, so only option is 9.57, which has been delayed.
I hate public transport!
I also hate posting from a phone too, but there's nothing else to do whilst I wait.
28 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Aargh trains!

I generally also despise public transport so I totally feel for you.  It's always when you absolutely have to be somewhere on time aswell!  I do actually quite like trams though for some unknown reason!
Tamlyn
Grafter

Quote from: James_H
I hate public transport!

Yeah but how would you get to Leeds without it? Tongue
pcoventry76
Grafter

trams are smaller versions of trains and they get priority over all the other traffic so that's why i like them. Also dead cheep for a monthly ticket
Cars are okay Bikes are better - Walking is king
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Coming back from my sisters on Saturday evening the train from Knutsford to Stockport was delayed, which meant I had 1 minute to sprint from platform 4 across to platform 1 in order to make the conneting train back to sheffield.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
pcoventry76
Grafter

typing on a nokia e90 is great as i get the full forum on the internal screen
Tamlyn
Grafter

Quote from: James_H
Anyway, I passed the exam - only another 5 to go...

Congratulations and good luck with the rest. What are you studying?
pcoventry76
Grafter

Nice One James Smiley
Best of luck with the rest of your course
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]spends about 20 hours a week on public transport...[/me]
...which, to be fair, isn't normally as bad as it sounds. Though today was quite annoying - virtually every train/tube I caught was delayed, not by much, but by enough that meant I was always having to dash from one train to another or whatever to make my connection. Plus it meant I missed the bus I wanted at the end of each journey, which was a bit a pain.
James
Grafter

I used to spend 27.5 hours a week on public transport Sad
Well, either on, or waiting for.  Kept it up for about 9 months before it drove me insane!
nadger
Rising Star

It always amazes me when people don't equate travelling time to work when considering jobs - it's easy to add 50% to ones working week and that's unpaid time.
I worked from home for the last 12 years before I retired with my principle customer about 3 miles away ( depot of well known Sheffield company) - meant that I was invoicing for all bar a few minutes when they phoned.
Pipex paid for me to go into London in April - walked to station, train to Euston and tube to Green Park. I was travelling off peak which at least meant I was sat down - just can't imagine how people do that every day.
James
Grafter

Oh, I considered it.  I'd also been out of work for 12 months and was at the stage of taking anything that got offered Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
Oh, I considered it.  I'd also been out of work for 12 months and was at the stage of taking anything that got offered Smiley

That's fair comment - thankfully was never in that situation.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just remember that if you're delayed, and it's due to the operating company's negligence (which it often is), you can claim on their customer charter.
Just looking at my train operating company and they give refunds for 30 minutes or more, but the tube will refund the paper (not Oyster) cost of the tube journey if it is delayed by 15 minutes or more.
If you use the tube in London like I do, and they're screwed because of their fault (so I guess stuff like planned work, person falling ill, security alerts don't count, but signal failures and failed trains do), then make sure you claim.
Of course Transport for Livingstone are hardly going to put the on-line customer charter form in a prominent position on their site (funnily enough they do when they want to rob you for driving into London), but it's here:
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/refunds/tuberefund/default.asp
I've filled one in today cos I was stuck behind a broken down tube between stations for 15 minutes this morning.
If anyone has serious problems, I'd advise them to check the charter. Problem is I don't think all of them are as convenient as the tube one .. they obviously rely on the vast majority of people either not bothering to claim or not realising they can do so.
(typo edit)
Community Veteran

The tube charter is very good - they take an aeon (sometimes up to a month) to actually send out the refund, but they always do eventually, even if the delay was borderline 15 minutes... thus far this term I've collected three refund vouchers because of delays. Unfortunately, rail customer charters are considerably more awkward, and they vary quite a bit too... one particularly annoying thing is that there's no requirement for an operator to offer refunds for owners of monthly (or longer) season tickets - what I normally use. Some operators do though, but on the other hand, some don't.