cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AV

nadger
Rising Star

AV

Anyone else getting fed up with all the leaflets and TV relating to Alternative Vote?
Personally I have no desire to try and rate candidates in order of preference!
If I have to I'll be putting the Monster Raving Loony candidate as my 2nd choice
52 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: AV

Yeah I'm getting fed up with it all, i'm happy with fptp - av seems a dogs dinner to me.
Will Moderate For Thanks
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

There is nothing to stop a voter giving their chosen candidate first preference and not giving any other preferences. Simple!
nadger
Rising Star

Precisely so why bother with the waste of money.
Community Veteran

Being away at the present time I'm missing all this but it looks like I might have some junk mail to discard when I get home Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@artmo
No need to be missing out !  Wink
http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/article.php?id=55  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I'll vote (if I bother) for fptp. (to my way of thinking AV would mean more coalitions, more split decisions, too much discussion).
BUT I'd vote for AV if it was true AV (i.e. if 51% of the electorate don't vote, no member goes forward to Westminster for that Constituency....until the next election –  let the none voters be not represented).
Belgium seems to be doing OK without government, (are they involved in Libya?)
So far seen no mail shots, no email, except a micky-mouse booklet, don’t have TV, not much on the radio about AV.
Community Veteran

@purleigh, I am rather pleased to be missing the build up to the vote. I have debated this issue many times and know the arguments.  I will be voting and like journeys will vote for fptp. IMO coalition is weak government.
Fixes: 101

fptp ftw
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I think both systems have problems due to the more or less equal percentage of votes for the two major parties get.
It seems to me that fptp frequently leads to either tactical voting against the party you most disagree with, or if you don't vote for either of the two main parties then you just waste your vote.  Neither scenario encourages positive voting for what you believe in.
Whereas the proposed AV system seems to have an outcome based primarily on the majority second choice of Liberal Democrat voters.
Therefore if those voters had a significant and unchanging leaning towards a particular main party (as second choice), then we could get stuck with single party politics for a very long time.  Again an unsatisfactory outcome.
I can see the logic in 'journeys' true AV argument, and for maybe making voting compulsory.
I remain unconvinced either way, and am increasing disillusioned in UK politics by the erosion of our governments powers by EU decisions.
Community Veteran

Quote from: purleigh
and for maybe making voting compulsory.

@purleigh, Agree with you, at least make voting incentivised. Either by giving voters say a £50 tax code break or handing out none voters a £25 fine, deductions from pensions or whatever. (you would still have the right to destroy your ballot paper if you so desire).
I disagree with the concept of regional representation, I’d like to see something like 70% regional representation with the other 30% as floating representatives.
To be a floating MP a candidate must have say a minimum of (as an example) 1000 nominees, (thus possibly the ex-servicemen, or retired librarians or RSPB members could have their own representation), Would be impossible with the current style of voting, Voting would obviously need to be electronic.
I’d also convert MP's into voluntary positions, two terms of office only but that a whole new discussion.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Personally my attitude is whoever gets the most votes wins. Why they have to complicate it all is beyond me.
Even this first past the post tripe is a load of rubbish. It's an election not a horse race  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: purleigh
am increasing disillusioned in UK politics by the erosion of our governments powers by EU decisions.

The UK parliament cannot have its powers eroded except by laws enacted by the UK parliament.  There are various items that the UK parliament has given its powers to, these include ceding power the NI assembly, Welsh assembly, Scottish Parliament, local councils, quangos and the EU, international treaties organisations (including things like the UN, IMF, Nuclear None Prolification Treaty, NATO, the Commonwealth of Nations and other international institution's the UK belongs to) and international treaties where agreed not excersize any given power (think mostly along the lines of peace treaties).
The UK parliament can pass any law it want's so long as the law itself is lawful (based on previous passed laws) and could if it wanted reclaim all the ceded powers, leave all the treaty organisations and tell the world it no longer recognises the treaties it has signed.  Although I expect we would rue the day we did that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

So any law passed by the EU would be deemed as Lawful so all our Laws past or present cannot conflict with EU laws otherwise they would be unlawful.
Sounds awful to me.
Community Veteran

No.
It would be perfectly possible for an EU law to be deemed illegal in the UK, should that law lay outside or beyond where the UK parliament had said EU Law should have precedent.  Also EU law could just be unlawful by EU law standards, the easiest to imagine would be an EU law that contravened the European Convention of Human Rights.
Laws passed in the past, deemed lawful at the time cannot normally become unlawful now or in the future without repeal or some such, although their interpretation and use may have to change.