Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASDA mobile moving from EE to Voda

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

ASDA mobile moving from EE to Voda

Heard of this via another source..

ASDA mobile are moving their virtual network from the physical EE network to Vodafone.

No idea how this will affect things like signal coverage, call quality etc but thought I'd post here and spread the word as I was unaware myself until someone pointed it out.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
10 REPLIES 10
HelloDuck
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: ASDA mobile moving from EE to Voda

Virgin mobile is also moving to Vodaphone 

The deal lasts from 2021 to 2026, although Virgin Mobile 5G is set to launch via the Vodafone network before this date.

When the changeover takes place, customers won't have to switch their SIMs and most work should take place behind the scenes.

It's a blow to BT who have had a longstanding partnership with Virgin Mobile and who are reportedly set to lose £200m thanks to the deal with Vodafone.

HD

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Ah... but.................. will the call costs go up ?   Undecided

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

I am not a great mobile phone enthusist but I get a feeling that 5g may well be the way to replace wired home internet. Mobile phone masts are a lot simpler and cheaper for reaching everyone than trying to get FTTH to every household . The second level phone brands will have far more to offer their customers if they piggyback the suppliers with the best infrastructure.

BT have lost a lot of money by trying to compete with Sky for their TV audience and now cannot afford to spend on what really matters. How much spending power the public have left when, or if, old style normality ever returns is another matter altogether.

PowerLee
Pro

As a current Vodafone customer it should mean Asda mobile customers get a better signal via Vodafone.

My GF is a Plusnet mobile customer & the EE signal coverage they keep shouting about isn't as great as they say - several times she has had no signal & I've had 4G.

I've yet to find an area im everyday life where I cannot get a Vodafone signal.
I can even get a Vodafone 4G signal inside the cab of a reach truck thats inside a freezer warehouse ( streaming music / live radio during test driving )
dvorak
Fixes: 1,183

Opposite way for me.
EE / PN is far better signal than voda round our way.

I have a voda sim for work, rest of family on PN.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote: but.................. will the call costs go up ?   Undecided

I doubt it. I must admit its one reason I tend to use a smartphone / mobile over a landline, day in day out, whatever telco is used. Unlimited calls and sms tend to get thrown in for very little money. I pay £7.50 a month (sim only) and that also includes enough data for me thrown into the mix as well. If I want to call abroad it works out very cheap compared to what the likes of PN etc might charge i.e. pence or even nothing per minute, compared to the £2 a minute.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

And another question will they still use G2 ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@gleneagles   or maybe 2G .......  HuhRoll_eyesUndecided

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@gleneagles wrote:

And another question will they still use G2 ?

an article on ispreview says that 2G will be kept. I should bl**dy hope so seeing as most dual sim phones use it on the sim that is not using data!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
billnotben
Community Veteran

I wonder if they will do the same as Virgin. I had an old but working virgin sim. Just used occasionally for testing purposes. Got a surprise new virgin sim through the post with a help email address if there is a problem using it in your phone.

So I dug out an old LG locked to virgin and of course the new sim wouldn't work. So using their contact email they offered an unlock code. They couldn't find one but asked me to phone them. They took the phone and sim details and said they would send a similar replacement. A few days later I received a new unlocked Nokia 106 which was a bit of a bonus, something for nothing.