cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARGOS

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

ARGOS

I note in the current Argos catalogue there is an option to return goods within 30 days for a refund if they are not what you want, however a number of their goods are excluded from the 30 day return period.
I can understand this where the goods are of a personal nature such as hair grooming products, dvd's , clothes etc  but it seems that a number of electrical goods also come into this category which seems odd.
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: ARGOS

Yes, we came up against this when we bought a new 'hoover' suitable for pet hair.
We took the new one home and tried it out. It wasn't very good with pet hair so we took it back intending to change it for another type. They refused to take it back as it had been used!
We argued that that was the only way we could determine if it was suitable for our needs but they flatly refused us.
Now we are stuck with a Bosch that's a lot less effective than our old Dyson!  Sad
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

@NedLudd, If the hoover didn't do the job it was intended for you have a right to a refund or replacement. Simply quote the Sale of Goods Act and say the hoover isn't fit for purpose i.e. it won't pick up the hairs it is designed to pick up. Argos are particularly bad on these issues. Don't give in. Talk to their head office if need be and as a last resort you can take them to the Small Claims Court - and you'll win Smiley
Community Veteran

@NedLudd, Argos has recently had some changes at the top but I think the head honcho is David Robinson. Try emailing him at:
David.Robinson@homeretailgroup.com
Let me know if it works Smiley
Fixes: 125

I agree with artmo in that persistence pays off.
If the description says suitable for pet hair but you find it isn't you certainly do have a case to return under the Sale of Good Act.
Some things to bear in mind for making returns easier :
1) View the items locally where possible but buy on line. This gives you access to the Distance Selling Regulations (there are still some exemptions like bespoke items) where you have 7 days to inform them starting the day after receipt of the goods This must be confirmed in writing which can include email. The monies have to be returned immediately but you have a reasonable amount of time in which to return the good(s).
2) Pay by credit card for goods over £99.99 but less than £30,000 as this gives you further protection under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@gleneagles, sorry we went off at a tangent and didn't answer your original query. In the case of DVDs, CDs and games I think it is to prevent you viewing or copying the disc and then returning it for a refund.
What other items are excluded from exchange?

[quote=http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm]

• To protect your personal security, we are also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.

• Please note all video games consoles are excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee. Please ensure you read the specification on the box before installation. We also cannot accept back video gaming software under our 30 day money back guarantee if the plastic wrapping has been unsealed – this does not affect your statutory rights.

Don't understand why the above are excluded. To protect personal security? Well, if you're daft enough to send it back with your personal data on...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

IIRC items on sale do not qualify for Argos 30 day returns
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

this does not affect your statutory rights.

BUT.... it obviously intended to........
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oddball
IIRC items on sale do not qualify for Argos 30 day returns

That's not right. If the item is simply reduced it is covered by their returns policy.  If an item is marked as a second then they can say they won't accept a return for the reason they state as a second. If any other flaw is found I think they will. Anyway there is always SoG to fall back on.
Community Veteran

tell argos you will shop at amazon instead next time who have a no quibbles return policy.
are they really going to quarrel over one refund/exchange vs loss of future business? if so then follow on your threat and dont shop there again.
argos should only have an issue with it if they plan to resell the item as new which isnt moral anyway.

I find that some of the stores like Argos and, particularly, Comets try to bamboozle you to seek support direct from the manufacturer (this can work better in some instances) or to give vouchers or effect repairs where a straight forward exchange or refund is appropriate.
What is not clear is whether this is simply bad policy or a lack of proper training.
If you contact the store armed with the knowledge of the SoG Act (and DSR if necessary), keep calm but state your rights and never, ever use bad language then you are more likely to get the correct support/advice.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Argos know EXACTLY what they are doing.
I bought a home cinema system. Set it up, and had a horrible sound quality. Because of all the settings I played with it for a week (I couldn't do anything anyway, what with work). I took it back on the Saturday, six days exactly later, because it was a faulty system. An earth fault I think ( a humming noise which gradually got louder until it cleared with a bang, then started again). They refused point blank to exchange or refund, then when I said I would enlist the help of trading standards they offered me 80% of the purchase price, the 20% being betterment. So six days of ensuring the problem was not my settings or my DVD player ( actually players, I tried two to make sure it wasn't some incompatibility issue) cost me £32.
I never use Argos for anything electrical or electronic now, and only for brand name items if I use Argos at all. Angry
Community Veteran

You were entitled to a full refund under the circumstances you describe.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I know, but financially it was a cheaper option. I lost £32 that day, but if I had gone to court I would have lost a day's wages.
I'm pretty sure argos were aware of this, which is why they employ this tactic.