cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A3 printing

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A3 printing

Periodically through the outdoor bowls season I print flyers and posters (for bus ads and local shops) usually in small numbers so I do them at home, with the cost of ink cartridges being picked up by the club from time to time, not too often but enough that I don't run at a loss.
Some of the posters are blown up to A3 and printed and some laminated at my local Staples chain store at quite moderate expense.
I'm wondering though about obtaining an A3 printer, just a basic colour printer, it doesn't need to be all singing all dancing 3 or 4 in 1, just a printer. seperate cartridges are a must, It would be helpful if it was Wi-Fi but not essential. These seem though to be very thin on the ground these days with the majority falling into the multi-function type.
A Brother MFCJ4510DW Compact Wireless A3 All-in-One Inkjet Printer, although all-in-one was looking good until I read a review of it that pointed out A3 printing (it does do it) is hand-fed through a slot one at a time there being no feeder tray for A3 and apt to be a bit hit or miss, so that has come off my list of one at the moment.
Or should I just continue doing my bit and keeping Staples a going concern. Anyone any ideas for A3 printers that don't cost the equivalent of the gross national product.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: A3 pinting

You might get lucky here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/a3-colour-laser-printer
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Thanks w23, Not too interested in laser printers, the one that caught my eye was honestly reporting a faulty print quality...ah well!

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
JamesM
Grafter

I bought my A3 printer from warehouse express a few years ago, here is one but they are awaiting stock at WEX.
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-epson-stylus-photo-1500w-printer/p1529201
even cheaper at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-1500W-Stylus-Photo-Printer/dp/B007ISNUUO
Community Veteran

Thank you JamesM. Amazon also have another advantage of having them in stock.
Serious consideration being given. Its the sheer physical size of the thing that may put me off.

JamesM
Grafter

Re: A3 printing

I know what you mean, I can't fit mine on my new desk and it is not wifi, so I have to lug it about whenever I need to use it. 
I also saw PC world have them for the same price as Amazon.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/printers-ink/printers-scanners/inkjet-printers/epson-stylus-1500w-styl...

Fixes: 124

We had one of those huge A3 colour laser printers (HP, I think) similar to the link supplied by W23. The ex had to have it for work. Boy was it big and heavy. How the delivery men got it upstairs is beyond me. Never could get the network (no Wifi) to work properly but it gave a pretty decent image both for photos and documents.
Haven't needed to look at printers for over three years since getting the current HP Photosmart Premium with duplex. What I have just noticed is that they still quote how good photo images are but I am wondering whether people still print their own Undecided I haven't for a number of years mainly due to the cost of ink. These days it's so much easier to either make a slide show or simply put onto a USB and show on others large screen TVs or PCs.
Does anyone here still print their own photos?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

JamesM
Grafter

I still print Mine Mav, but only the special ones. I used to print quite a few for framing, but as you say, ink is a ridiculous price. My A4 printer cost me about £120 over 10 years ago and it still costs £70+ to buy the 6 ink cartridges, or £15 each. My A3 printer cost me £329 about 5 years ago and with it having 8 ink cartridges it isn't cheap to run either.
Fixes: 124

I remember reading a report some years ago that photos printed with an inkjet will fade a lot quicker than those printed commercially.
Does that still stand for today's inks? I assume it depends on the quality of the paper as well as the ink.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
Thanks w23, Not too interested in laser printers, the one that caught my eye was honestly reporting a faulty print quality...ah well!

You shouldn't knock them too quickly especially if they're designed for office / industrial use. I have a konica minolta and although it only does A4 its lasted over 4 years since I got it as a freebie from freecycle. I'm still on the original toners that it came with too. Print quality varies depending on the source of the doc / image but the demo photos it spits out can't be faulted.
A good laser printer is a really wise purchase. Ok the toners are expensive but they usually last longer than ink cartridges.
Quote from: Mav
I am wondering whether people still print their own Undecided I haven't for a number of years mainly due to the cost of ink. These days it's so much easier to either make a slide show or simply put onto a USB and show on others large screen TVs or PCs.
Does anyone here still print their own photos?

I do the odd few but only the special things that really need printing pretty much like JamesM has said. I just send them to the laser printer as ink jets use the ink too quickly. For anything else I just look at the photos on the monitor.
Quote from: JamesM
I still print Mine Mav, but only the special ones. I used to print quite a few for framing, but as you say, ink is a ridiculous price. My A4 printer cost me about £120 over 10 years ago and it still costs £70+ to buy the 6 ink cartridges, or £15 each. My A3 printer cost me £329 about 5 years ago and with it having 8 ink cartridges it isn't cheap to run either.

At a guess, you're using a Canon?! I was looking at one of their all in ones a while back as it had a duplex scanner as well as the duplex printer. What put me off was the 6 cartridges that cost around £70 and were only available online  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
JamesM
Grafter

I think the pigment they use in the ink now and the coatings they put on the paper make them last a lot longer then they used to, Mav
The printers I have 7up are an Epson R300 A4, and an Epson R1800 A3.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Oh you poor man! Epson are worse than canon for rinsing wallets! I used to have a CX3600 and it was a real wallet raider. I'd prefer to go for a canon over an epson to be honest as I've never heard anything bad about canon other than the ink costs.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
CX
Grafter

I've had bad experiences with Epson inkjet printers - every one I've ever owned has suffered from clogged nozzles, even after a few weeks without printing. From memory I've had the Stylus Color 740, CX42UX and CX6400. The Stylus Color 740 was a decent enough printer, and lasted around 5 years before it became impossible to get good prints from it (but it was dated by then anyway). The CX42UX was useless almost from day 1. The CX6400 sheared off its print head carrier (somehow). All three suffered from clogging.
I powered up an HP Officejet 7000 at work today, which has been sat in the corner of an office unplugged for almost 3 years. I expected to have to put some new ink cartridges in it, or at the very least clean the print heads, but it worked perfectly.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Surely, the cost of an A3 printer will take years to recoup, by the sound of the quantity of stuff you intend to print... Have you worked out the yearly financial cost of your present printing costs on A3 with Staples? and compared that to the cost of the "new"  A3 printer, which will remain unused for 90% of the year?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4