Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A3 Scanner

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A3 Scanner

I may have upcoming light to moderate use for an A3 scanner (I all already have a Brother printer that is A4 but has an A3 capability as single sheets.

Searching around, it seems I can buy a multi-function A3 printer/scanner for considerably less than a stand alone scanner, which seems daft to me. Which is ok with six strong men to lift it and an extension on my house to accommodate it, ok I exaggerate, but it is pretty big and heavy.

Those A3 scanners I've seen can be silly money running into four figures, which is not on for my expected use of.

I would be quite happy with the small feed in type (there are several A4 and photo scanners of this type around, but so far I've failed to find one.

There is one other option before I'm told so, take my A3 document to a Office shop, (there's an ex Staples that's been re-named near here) who will scan your document(s) to a USB memory stick, which is Ok but hardly convenient.

Anybody on the forums have any other ideas or know of something cheaper.

I suppose I understand why A3 scanner are it seems so expensive compared to A4 and photo, they are mostly sold to companies for their office use. There's probably not much call for these scanners for home use. 

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: A3 Scanner

@petlew

Does it have to be new?

Maybe you could find something used in acceptable condition and at a suitable price by searching on eBay or elsewhere?

Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Depends a bit on what you're scanning but other options are taking a photograph of the document with a camera.

Or scanning it in sections with an A4 scanner and then joining the sections together. Software like Photoshop can stitch images together very well automatically nowadays.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

A quick search on Ebay... finds this one.... ( Refurbished )  Just under £80.00

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epson-XP-900-Wireless-All-in-One-A3-Photo-Printer-With-Ink-Scanner-Inkjet...

states it can do 32 pages per minute... (but doesn`t say if that is only for A4  ?  ?? )

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Thanks gents, will consider all options.

@shutter nice try, but reading down the spec it states it prints up to A3, but scans up to A4. Which is what my current Brother printer/scanner will do. But thanks anyway.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@shutter wrote:

A quick search on Ebay... finds this one.... ( Refurbished )  Just under £80.00

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epson-XP-900-Wireless-All-in-One-A3-Photo-Printer-With-Ink-Scanner-Inkjet...

states it can do 32 pages per minute... (but doesn`t say if that is only for A4  ?  ?? )

Can't fault Epsons scan quality but what put me off them was their excessive ink usage.

I'm now using a canon and i must say it's the best I've used by miles.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is also the huge bundle of unwanted software you need to install with Epson devices, most of which you will ever need.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I have for years and still do use mainly Canon printer/scanners. I only bought the Brother as it would print to A3 (in A4 mode it prints in landscape, but A3 in portrait from a single sheet feeder at the rear) it was very cheap in a Staples sale just before they changed to whatever they are now, so I was probably in the right place at the right time, the new owner has the same model on sale but nearer its RRP. I have to say the A4 print quality is rather good, as is the A3, although I've never tried it in photo setup. The ink cartridge costs are much the same as Canon. It is inclined to drop its wifi connection sometimes, requiring a reset at the printer, the Canon resets itself following a broadband drop out.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 7

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Thank you wisty, having a long look at that, not really sure my expected use can justify the expense though. And I don't have the ex-VAT option. Certainly the cheapest method as long as you have a memory stick handy is the local office shop who charge 40p a scan to stick, but its not in the least convenient.

Uhmm!!, thinking about that one.

Highlighted
All Star

As you've noticed, A3 scanners are expensive and they are also big....

If your scanning requirements are limited then the local Office shop maybe the best option.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 7

The other question is what do you want to do with the scans. What resolution do you really need?

If you only need  a fairly low resolution you could (as @BigDaz suggested) photograph the  sheet with a camera. If you have a fairly high resolution camera you might get away with a single image. You could also photograph the sheet in sections and use a photo manipulation program to stitch them together.

a 13Mpixel camera should get you an A3 image at 100-150 dpi which will be OK for on screen viewing. A 24Mpixel camera will get you about 300Dpi.

Taking multiple images and stitching them will increase these numbers.

To do it well you probably need a tripod and some care with the lighting.