cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A velly intellesting phone call

pin2011
Grafter

A velly intellesting phone call

Here we go again the phone rings and a foreigner tells me that I have a problem with my puter. Really I say!! Can I have your name please?
NO response. Where are you calling from? NO response, Which company do you respresent? NO response.
Again I ask for his name and he said somthing which I couldn't understand. I asked for his number from which he was calling. He  said 9//
I the said there was no such number in this country other than the emergency services.
At this point I had enough and cut him off
7 REPLIES
thejudge
Grafter

Re: A velly intellesting phone call

Did you do 1471?
I got a call like that at 18:25 today. I followed my usual pattern; I say "Hello?", if there's no sound from the other end within two seconds, I put the phone down. Which I did.
The number was 0845 286 3822
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08452863822
pin2011
Grafter

Yep called 1471 and surprise pee  the number has been withheld!!
Next call I get like this I will be even more 'ruthless' in my questions.
Or I may even hang the phone over the radio and see how long before they cut off
the connection.
I tried to do something similar to BT and it backfired. The woman on the other end
asked if there was some 'interference' on the line. It was a playback of the familiar
customer service 'press 1 for payments' press two etc I thought it would be nice for the
noggins at BT to hear their own recorded drivel for a change.
adie:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've been getting that scam call since November ish last year, either a African or Indian caller who wants me to install some remote software on my pc to Fix the problem.  They are still doing it so the 1 in 16 rule rings true, 1 idiot in 16 will do it or they would have stopped.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well here's one you could always try...
When they ask you to download and install this software tell them the site has an error on it - something like a php undefined index error. Drag it out a bit... claim you've refreshed and it's all ok but the site is so confusing you don't know what to click and you can't see the bit they're telling you about. Insist that THEY download and install YOUR software so you can see THEIR desktop (use teamviewer.com heh). I wonder how long they'll stay on the line once you've got them in your position!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I always try to keep these people on the line as long as possible. While chatting with them I usually visualise having MSDOS 5.0 on my PC or I boot up a LINUX machine and take it from there.Usually they'll parade four or five "experts" before giving up. It means they have less time to pester other people and it increases their phone bill.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Pro

You could always try This
snozboz
Grafter

My Dad has just had a phone cold-call from them. He says they got him to click on something which revealed some orange and red-flagged errors on his computer which they offered to fix.  He says he only gave them his email address, so they could send him more information. And he says he didn't give them access to his computer.  I hope he's right!  The email they've sent him implies he has paid them to provide computer support .  Undecided
Subject: Notification Of Payment And Service
                Dear <name of my Dad>,
A very warm welcome to our ever- growing family. We take this opportunity to welcome you to ONLINE PC HUB and thank you for choosing us as your trading partner. At ONLINE PC HUB it is our constant endeavor to provide value added services towards meeting and exceeding your expectations of us. It will be our privilege to do business with you and we value our association greatly.
We would like to take this opportunity to introduce to you some of the services,you as our privilege customer would have access to.
Chat with ONLINE PC HUB Experience Engineers (Microsoft & Cisco Certified Engineers),
Talk to us through the problem, all that you need to do is pick up your phone and calls our support no. (United Kingdom) 01415305383
Send us an E-mail and get reply within 24 hrs with troubleshoot of that problem:-onlinepchubltd.mru@hotmail.com

Thank you for using ONLINE PC HUB to order your Online Support Services for your computer. Looking forward to your continued support & participation. We hope you will enjoy using our service. We have provided some useful contact details at the bottom of this letter to help with any questions you may have about your Services.
A copy of the Terms & Conditions that you agreed they can be viewed http://www.onlinepchubb.com/
Once again thanking and assuring you of our best service.
Name which will appearr on your card statement: ONLINE PC HUB
Thanx And Regards
Online Pc Hub Team

But doing a couple of minutes of searching, shows them to be the scammer they are (though it's unclear how they benefit unless people give them money deliberately because they've been suckered in by a cold call).
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2668251
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres