Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A useful website

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A useful website

Hi All
I came across this post on Force9s Discussion Forums, and I think that the members of the Community Site would be interested in it!
Topic: A usefull website
By: wearehere
Posted: 27 Apr 2007 04:49 pm
Hi Everyone,
Just a bit of a chat message really and a pointer to a very useful web site.
The reason I’m writing is I was going to get rid of an old mobile phone in a Tesco recycling bag when this thought struck me (damn well hurt as well  Smiley), ‘what about the data stored on the phone how do I delete it all’.
A bit of ‘research’ on the internet (what would we do without it?) came up with this site;
http://www.wirelessrecycling.com/home/data_eraser/default.asp
all you have to do is select your phone and it will produce a page or pages of instructions on deleting your data.
I also wondered how many mobile phones are recycled without the owner deleting all the data. They contain so much nowadays with phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, to-do lists, contact management and much more, a paradise for the ‘cloner’.
Another thing that amuses me is the bland way the computer magazines remind you to ‘secure delete your hard disks before recycling your old computer’. Have they ever tried it I wonder?
I have a secure deleting program and it can take up to a full week running day and night to do a secure 7 pass run on a large hard disk. Even a low level format on an IDE drive can take 2 days (and yes it can be done but you need the right program to do it). Do they really think an ordinary user is going to leave their computer on 24 hours a day for 7 days, I don’t think so.
My ‘cure’, remove hard drive, place on a hard surface, concrete is best, hit as often as you wish with 4lbs lump hammer  Wink. Does wonders for your pent up anger and keeps everyone but the ‘Government Forensics’ department from reading your data. Also has a lower carbon footprint as well.
Keep well everyone, regards, Colin.
Rising Star

Re: A useful website

Topic: A usefull website
By: dtomlinson
Posted: 28 Apr 2007 04:56 pm
A long long time ago I went for a job interview with one of these forensics labs. It was amazing how much data they could recover from damaged drives. They had clients bring them drives and floppies that had been in fires, blown up by bombs, smashed to pieces by sledge hammers, etc. and they were generally able to recover a large amount of the data.
Of course doesn't come cheap or quick  Smiley

That is scary.  Anyone for a steamroller!
holdtight
Grafter

Data recovery is not as hard as some may think on a supposedly knackered drive and knowing someone that works at my local tip im also amazed at how many people dump intact working pc`s inc op system and personal details thinking once they are dumped they are going for destruction and will be safe.... oh how very wrong they are with most being sold on to the general public for a few quid
At the most basic level when selling a pc with hard drive included i use dban boot & nuke even then data could still be retrieved if wanted
If its my own personal system im selling the drive/s come out to be used still by myself either as slave / external disks but whatever don't leave the house
If i want it destroyed completely ill take it apart and smash the platters or i give it to my son to play with  Wink
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

FIRE!  Wink
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The best solution I heard was to get a hex editor and use it to save a file entirely fuill of zeros that's the same size as the drive you want to blank. There's a few utilities that offer this, though this one from the seagate website should do fine.
Hope this helps,
Community Veteran

I recommend;
Darik's Boot and Nuke
http://dban.sourceforge.net/
Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot floppy that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.
DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling, a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer, and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware. DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis.

Chilly
Chilly
Community Veteran

Quote from: chillypenguin
Chilly
Chilly

OK, when did I develop the stutter.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well surely your teeth must be chattering, you being so cold and all...
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: PJ
What about an option for "All of the above"  Grin

Your wish is my command.  Cheesy
home99
Grafter

If you want to be really flash you could use Rolls Royce.  They will give you your HD back as a nice little paper weight - obviously after it has been put through a bath of acid and pulverised.
I have one at work and its very original - no one can believe it was once a HD.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Home99, a cracking idea, do they make a charge for the service  Wink?
Regards, P.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Forgot to add, as you can see from my tag line I was the original poster of the message on the F9 forum. Thanks tdadyslexia for bringing it forward.
Regards, P
home99
Grafter

Afraid so - I normally approach them every few months with a couple of hundred to destroy.  Due to the huge amounts we put through it works out at extremely good value.
A good slight of hand could introduce an extra couple...obviously never done that myself - that would be wrong.  Grin
Pendragon
Rising Star

I was thinking more on the lines of them doing the destroying bit and selling the result for charity. I think many members on here would donate HD’s for recycling in this manor if they opened it up for more general usage.
If you feel inclined could you perhaps post a contact site or more details of how an individual (or business) would get a HD(s) recycled.
Regards, P.
home99
Grafter

Oops, I see.
We may be visiting them soon so I shall ask what the policy is.