Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A television advert that irritates.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

A television advert that irritates.

Sure some of them are good, but the current Specsavers hearing test advert really gets up my nose.

I have suffered from poor hearing since childhood and without boring you with my experiences along the way, my hearing made even worse by old age means I now need to wear an aid.

So why do Specsavers portray those with poor hearing as utterly stupid? 

Previous ads never did, in fact they were quite funny but on these they have crossed the line in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YKyripKLk0

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
20 REPLIES
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A television advert that irritates.

At least the Boots ad doesn’t portray those with hearing difficulties as stupid:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHgbbqaO2k

jab1
Champion
Fixes: 8

You mean people actually bother noticing ads these days? Except on the few occasions I watch live TV (and the mute button is always hit at ad-break time anyway), I use the fast-forward at 32 times speed and am only watching the screen so I know when to hit 'play'.

John
Champnet
Pro

V.I.Poo. gets right up my..........

Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

... nose, just like the guy that goes in after her wafting it up his hooter! Takes all sorts I guess. Wink

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@jab1 wrote:

You mean people actually bother noticing ads these days? Except on the few occasions I watch live TV (and the mute button is always hit at ad-break time anyway), I use the fast-forward at 32 times speed and am only watching the screen so I know when to hit 'play'.

Likewise, except that it's even easier for me to skip the ads as my Media Player is a dedicated PC using MediaPortal for recording TV, so I've a button programmed to jump forward by exactly 4 mins which is usually exactly right for ITV and Ch4.  Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@jab1

Noticing ads? Of course we do, and you may or may not watch much television but we are literally surround by advertising. Even being here is as a result of Plusnet's encouragement. 

Oh yes, and I actually remember that one for Gibbs SR toothpaste! 

@RobPN

So how to you manage to make a cuppa? Ads can be useful as well for grabbing another beer from the fridge...... and at my age, popping out to use the loo.  Wink

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Anonymous
Not applicable

In terms of the worst ad, I think you’d have to go a long way to beat that dreadful Tui one with the woman massacring (?) Chaka Khan’s Ain’t Nobody. There’s even a petition to get rid of it.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/184/854/474/get-rid-of-the-annoying-tui-advert/

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

So how to you manage to make a cuppa? Ads can be useful as well for grabbing another beer from the fridge...... and at my age, popping out to use the loo.  Wink 

Same as you probably, when the ads would've been on, or pause at bladder bursting point!

You could always get one of those small beer fridges to put near your arm chair! Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Advertising has minimal, if any effect on my purchasing habits - with one notable exception.

I've always enjoyed canned fizzy orange drinks and quite often bought Tango. You remember the the adverts with the stupid orange fat man with the "You know when you've been Tangoed" strapline (the one that led to loads of kids getting ruptured eardrums when it was copied)? I have never bought a can of Tango since. Not what they were aiming for!

Perhaps a post on https://www.facebook.com/Specsavers/ saying you will not ever use their services because of the ads might be appropriate?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jelv wrote:

Advertising has minimal, if any effect on my purchasing habits 

Indeed, many people seem to think that way. But maybe the many billions of pounds which continue to be spent on advertising might suggest we are not as immune as we might like to think.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Money supermarket , has to be the worst ever advert Sad  twerking businessmen dancing in high heels  Ticked off

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jab1
Champion
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman wrote:

@jab1

Noticing ads? Of course we do, and you may or may not watch much television but we are literally surround by advertising. Even being here is as a result of Plusnet's encouragement. 

Oh yes, and I actually remember that one for Gibbs SR toothpaste! 

Some obviously do notice them, @Minivanman, I agree. However, they don't usually have the intended effect on me, usually the opposite, because these days they seem to me to be attempting to be 'relevant' - how many of them use 'rap-speak'? -  a guaranteed avoid at all costs notification to me.

John
Fixes: 234

@Anonymous wrote:

In terms of the worst ad, I think you’d have to go a long way to beat that dreadful Tui one with the woman massacring (?) Chaka Khan’s Ain’t Nobody. There’s even a petition to get rid of it.

If it's got as far as a petition to remove an ad then the ad agency has done its jobWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mayfly
Pro

The one that really gripes me is the safeglaze uk ad with the BOGOF offer.

If their item is as poor as the ad I wouldn't touch it. The thing is tho', I remember the ad (unfortunately) so it's done it's job.