cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A telephone that's just that.....

N/A

A telephone that's just that.....

In common with many folk, particularly older ones, my other half has always had trouble fathoming out how to work mobile telephones.
In vain he has purchased various types - none of them have been suitable.  They are usually too small and fiddly (can't see the keypad without glasses), ring and speaker not loud enough (he has a hearing loss) and he just cannot fathom the functions.
Hopefully the problem is now solved with THIS from Maplins.
It looks like an ordinary cordless telephone and happily it does nothing except serve as a communication device.
No games, camera, radio or any other irrelevancy. It also has a nice little stand to sit in and recharge the battery.
I have set it all up for him and hoping that this will not have to be replaced for some time as we now have a drawer full of redundant handsets (well, perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration).
Anyway, in the days of technological advancement it is nice to know that a company is willing to buck the trend and supply an item that is simple and easy to operate.
Wish that they would do the same for computers!  Roll eyes
PS Anyone want a mobile telephone?
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: A telephone that's just that.....

Looks quite "trendy"... !..... Smiley
magnetism2772
Grafter

I like this  phone , its very colourful , attractive and simple
I hope I  can find a tv remote control on sale in this fashion
both will make ideal gifts for this Christmas
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

And the almost identical form Amazon, slightly less sexy shape!! SHMBO is on her second, having doused the first with a mug of coffee which it didn't like much. Otherwise highly recommended as long as you accept its a throw-away if it goes wrong...spare batteries not available, and how I've tried. Customer services non-existent. Buy it, use it but throw it away if it goes wrong. However, before the coffee incident the old one had been working happily for four years.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Binatone-Button-Mobile-COLOUR-Elderly/dp/B0034YZPIQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1...;
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
magnetism2772
Grafter

I've found the tv remote control to go with  this phone
nadger
Rising Star

Don't like it  Wink
It'd be too difficult to lose  Smiley
Community Veteran

Poppy, it's amazing how many people I know who ask for a phone with large buttons and all they want to do is make and receive calls and nothing else.
Community Veteran

I do sometimes think the mobile phone companies have got it wrong. There are an awful lot of people who want/need a device to make phone calls with. In my own case I had a Sony Ericsson X10 for a short while (later downgraded to a "phone" I was offered an iPhone but declined) Ok it had lots of technical issues that spoiled it but, personally I would never have used any of the myriad of apps that were included or available except occasional text and email (receive only)
I'm sure there are technophobes who delight in being mobile everything but, I do wonder how many actually use the potential.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
julesandsand
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
Don't like it  Wink
It'd be too difficult to lose  Smiley
[/quote
According to them it would be too difficult to 'loose'  Roll eyes <sigh>
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Lloyds Pharmacy is selling a phone that looks like that for £39.99.
http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=90&mpe_id=11182&produ...
Some more expensive phones with larger buttons, fewer functions and louder volumes are made by Doro. Some include a panic button to send texts and call a series of numbers in turn at the press of a single button in case of emergency.

nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: julesandsand
According to them it would be too difficult to 'loose'  Roll eyes <sigh>
Sorry, just looked at picture and didn't read further. Embarrassed
Actually I'm being good and putting all the remotes on the TV cabinet at night, when we switch off, and only picking up the ones we need next day.
Community Veteran

Wish I could be as disciplined as that John. I think part of the problem is the sheer number of remotes we have.  I often have to turn the house upside down and then find a remote on the sofa next to me Wink 
nadger
Rising Star

Just hoping I can continue being good  Smiley
As you say, it's the number of remotes that we have these days - don't really fancy one of the " all in one" devices as they never cover all the functions.
Used to also have a problem finding specs before getting varifocals  Smiley
Community Veteran

@ artmo, Déjá vu...!! Embarrassed Embarrassed

nadger
Rising Star

I wonder how many of us have rung our mobiles to find it  Embarrassed