Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A suggestion for the rulebook...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

A suggestion for the rulebook...

Given the recent events, plus past ones, I'm offering the suggestion that political discussions be added to the list of rules of "Do not discuss", owing to the fact they often get heated, certain people get overly-offended and, ahem, "victimised" because nobody likes their opinions, and just make this part of the forum look like an utter joke...

Why do I suggest this? Well, another forum I'm on namely Satellites.co.uk, which I've been a member of for 14 years now, has such a rule, and it works, people with political agendas are given the boot, people who get into arguments over politics are suspended or removed outright, topics pertaining to current events are limited to mentions or news articles, with no opinions allowed...

Granted this would involve "certain elements" with their agendas being excluded on a permanent basis, but, given the toxicity of this section, it's either adjust the rules to put out these particular flames, or, let GD burn to the ground and be closed for good, as frankly it doesn't look good for PlusNet's image when people get into bickering & arguing...

Of course this is just a suggestion (which I'm sure someone'll thoroughly dislike), but one I would certainly recommend that the Admin seriously think about...

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: A suggestion for the rulebook...

There was a pinned topic from the mods about religious and political topics ages ago - and it remained pinned at the top of the board for what seemed like an eternity.

The problem is though, one person (and it could be anyone) only has to say the wrong sentence and that rule flies out of the window and the [-Censored-] 4 tat starts. I should know, i've become entangled in many spats here over the years due to that sort of thing happening.

But I do wonder if the mods should resurrect that thread and re-pin it.  That or members get PM'd with a "wind yer neck in" type of advice being offered from the mods.

This isn't a new problem though - it's been going on for years.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

That's why I suggest the addition of it to the rules rather than just a sticky post, like I say, said rule has worked on another forum I've been a long-term member of, and other fora I've graced over the years have had similar rules owing to the nature of politics being pretty toxic, if people wish to get into such heated "debate" and call each other names, I'm sure there's plenty of politics forums out there for them to paint with their particular form of matter...

That and a more pro-active stance on moderation would be a useful thing, but given that moderators are volunteers & customers only, that's a pretty difficult thing to attain given the nature of the forum...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

How about putting new members on probation for a length of time and/or number of posts before giving them permanent membership?

Although I do realise that could be worked around much like the 'deradicalisation' of terrorists in prison fails.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 25

The problem with making guns illegal so that criminals won't be armed with guns is that it relies on the criminals obeying the law about not having the guns.

For similar reasoning, I don't think changing the rules will solve the problem here. If someone is determined to antagonise and provoke and disrupt, but in a careful way so that they stay within the rules, then changing the rules so that a few topics are off limits will merely change what they have to work with - I'm sure they will find other topics or ways in which to be disruptive. Being disruptive is already covered in the forum rules.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

I don't believe in blanket rules over what or cannot be covered in a forum. That politics or anything else may cause controversy is not the matter. IMO it is the persons, who post that are responsible. Therefore offensive posters should have their contributions subject to moderation and edition for a time. Failure to improve should bring indefinite banning

Hey, what is incapable of becoming political? Little I think.🤔

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 141

It seems to me that there is so much silly bickering going on at the moment it would be a lot less hassle for the mods if the Chat board was shut down altogether.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

But chat is the entertaining part of the forum.

Get rid of that and many of the chat posters would simply stop using the forum entirely. Many of those that post in chat also post and help in other sections. That would inevitably come to an end for many.

Highlighted
Fixes: 417

Over the years, both pre-mod status and since, I have advocated for General Chat to remain but I have to admit that I am finding fewer reasons to speak up on its behalf these days.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

That's why I've made this suggestion, before it comes to an unnecessary end...

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

We don't need new rules on the forum, nor do we need the Mods to sort it either; we, the posters need to sort this ourselves. We are the ones making the posts so what we post is a direct reflection of us as a being, both good and bad. I'm no saint but those that know me will know I post a lot less now than I did years ago, as I know if I had of replied to the more contentious posts I'd be out.

I have said similar elsewhere, but if contentious, inflammatory posts are ignored then is there any point in making them. How long do you sit alone on the see-saw before you realise that no one is coming out to play!

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Rules and laws are no good on their own, we have literally millions of laws in this country but very little justice.

There has been a law making FGM illegal in UK since 1985, and only one proscecution to date notwithstanding

medical staff reporting blatent cases in girls as young as 3 years old who were born in UK.  So more rules and laws

are not the answer, especally when changing peoples behaviour by less draconian means is much more effective,

difference between a stick and a carrot, peer pressure can be a wonderful thing ( except in the House of Lords ).  

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

Worried they'll no longer turn a blind eye to your bigotry and racism?...

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Are you seriously suggesting it is 'bigotry and racism' to protect young girls from

abuse and a lifetime of medical problems caused by FGM.  You are letting

your obvious hatred of me cloud your judgment big time..

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Highlighted
Pro

Well, @wotsup, to be fair, out of all the laws you could have used as an example of laws that are ineffective, that does seem to be a rather niche choice. Perhaps you could share why chose that particular law as your example?