Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A step nearer to a third world war

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

A step nearer to a third world war

It's not looking good with Trumps new security advisor, and I don't mean his moustache either. The man is a hawk and no mistake and now has the ability to take the world and his wife down with him.

Tick tock for the doomsday clock folks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43512175

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: A step nearer to a third world war

Not much we can do about it though is there. I used to worry about things like nuclear war but in reality there isn't much point - there is nothing any of us can do about it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I agree totally - and who would want to be a survivalist, but I do worry about the kids and of course the rest of humanity. Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Likely to happen sooner or later, civilisation makes great advances in many fields but fails to progress past a certain point and then it's back to the beginning.

Look at what happened to past civilisations, we have a nack of improving things and then destroying them completely, WW3 might really be the last war we ever have there will be nothing left to start a further War.

No point in worrying about it, nothing the average person can do to stop it.

If it did start during my lifetime I would stand outside, no point in hiding under the table like those silly short films suggested years ago.

Community Veteran

Back in the day when the UK Gov't were worried about a nuclear strike we had a Civil Defence Corps. It had 643,000 trained volunteers and officials. They also had equipment such as tents, latrines, field kitchens, logistics vehicles and rescue vehicles. At some point the Home Office lost a budget battle and the Corps was disbanded. Responsibility was thrown over the fence to Local Authorities, who now have some committees.  ...

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@AlaricAdair wrote:

. Responsibility was thrown over the fence to Local Authorities, who now have some committees.  ...

And those committees will have built an underground bunker, somewhere, that they can go to, and in it`s safe environment, survive and declare that they are co-ordinating everything from the bunker, as committees are committed to do  ! ! !  ..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I guess it was a daft thing to do getting rid of all the air raid sirens. I know of one still on top of a telecom pole but I suspect that has been disconnected.

Somehow I doubt the government will bother to reinstall them all again, instead they'll just ensure they have their own bolt holes.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Maybe some are in place because of a flood warning?

As for reinstalling them, everybody has a smart phone now. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

No, not everyone, and not every one can get a signal even if they did have a smart phone!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Smart phone warning NO , did you not see the false warning in Japan Undecided

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/16/japans-national-broadcaster-issues-north-korean-missil...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I would venture to suggest that more people would get a signal on their smart phones than would ever hear a siren going off.... assuming they work in the first place and those folks that did, did not stop and wonder what all the racket was!

Any suggestions as to what the text message might read. Wink 

PS. @rongtw I'd rather have a wrong warning about a nuclear attack than a right one! 

PPS. Just googled, and this came up first. Run for the hills Thumbs Up 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Minivanman wrote:

Any suggestions as to what the text message might read. Wink

Bye bye!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that the GSM networks in an emergency can either be shut down or switched to only handle emergency calls.

I was in London at July 7 and I only realised something very bad had happened when I tried to make a call and you get the triple tones mast is full signal. So I'm thinking "This must be big, mobile networks are jammed". Took me something like 13 attempts, when I said to my dad:

"Me: Dad have you seen the news?"
"Dad: No"
"Me: Put it on now"
(Puts on news)
"Dad: OK get your sister and mum home now"

For a bit of clarity me, my sister and mum were in Central London working. To cut a long story short we got home.

My point is whether the mobile networks can cope with lots of people all using their phones all at the same time if a major incident happens, not just in London but anywhere really.

July 7 was some time ago and maybe the infrastructure has improved since then, I don't know.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman  

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring  Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jab1
Champion
Fixes: 8

I  may be wrong here, and our friends Jong, Putin and Trump really do want WW3, but I'm sure all three are aware of MAD.

Even if all three of them are mad, and I don't really think they are, despite the bits we hear from them on the news, they will have saner voices whispering in their ears.

John