cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sound of summer

Fixes: 124

A sound of summer

Apparently ice cream vans are a dying breed because of triple-glazing. It seems families can't hear the vans any more. Those jingles they played (although annoying at times) were a part of summer yet the number of vans have gone from 250,000 in the 70's to 2500 now.

I forget the last time I heard an ice cream van. I think it was at my mum's quite a few years ago. She loved a lemon ice with the rest of us usually settling for a 99.

Definitely never heard one where we live and we don't even have double-glazing. Sometimes see them close by the beach or at the entrance to some parks but haven't seen one 'doing the rounds' for a very long time.

Has anyone seen one recently?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 210

Re: A sound of summer

Last time I heard one past my house was a couple of years ago, and it was glorious.
I miss those moments.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 47

Triple glazing has no effect on kids playing out and they are the ones round here who run home for some cash when one of these vans appears Wink

Must say though there is a shortage of the vans as we used to get at least 2 on our road daily.

Now it seems to be one occasionally, not even weekly.

I wonder if supermarket ice-cream sections and home freezers have had a big effect.

I only seem to regularly see ice cream vans at organised events.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

We get a couple around here regularly.

The rising cost of icecream has killed the popularity and profit of being an icecream man. I've never seen an icecream lady in a van. Don't know why.

Wasn't there a news article a year or so ago about how the van men were struggling to keep icecreams affordable and still make a profit despite the spiralling costs of the raw ingredients?

When I lived in Sarf London in the late '90s we regularly heard ice cream vans in the winter but they sold cigarettes. Rumour has it they sold other goods as well but not ice cream if you get my drift.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

ice cream vans historically sold more than just ice cream.
most of the other stuff sold was "under the counter", be it videos or other substances.
back in the day the owner/drivers probably didn't have CRB's either.

i think it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together and work out why some (if not most) of the ice cream vans are about these days.

the famous "ice cream wars" in glasgow wasn't about ice cream.

Fixes: 47

A friend of mine (a big lad) used to run an ice-cream van in the Summer months.

He knew the good locations and if there was another van on his chosen pitch he would request that the other guy move off.

If the other guy politely declined there would be a brief exchange of blows, resulting in the other guy moving off to pastures new, sporting a bloody nose.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

I remember the tally vans from years past!

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mav wrote:

Has anyone seen one recently?

Yes just 2 or 3 days ago one came past us playing its tune. I don't think he gets much business here though as he doesn't come regularly - just once in a blue moon. I keep telling the little one that the music means they have no ice cream left lol.

The last time I used it was last year and it had a woman operating it. She got out of the drivers seat to serve me and forgot to put the handbrake on! Needless to say being parked on a slight slope she started to roll. I was holding onto the hatched serving area trying to slow it down while she hit the brakes but by eck them things are an unstoppable force!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

SWMBO has just mentioned that she heard an ice cream during the week and that one comes past every week or two.

As a child in the 60's I do remember getting excited at the sound of the jingle and rushing in to get a sixpenceCheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Haven't seen one round here at all, I hear one in the local council estate (probably selling under-the-counter merchandise!), but nobody comes up this way...