cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A site for sore...thumbs?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A site for sore...thumbs?

'er indoors wants a couple of steamer loungers after watching an antique program.  I must say anything that means you lay around in the sun - with a pimms (or a beer) gets my vote. Wink
So did some research on Amazon and Ebay, but at £200+ each, it is a bit steep so I decided to see about making them.  I researched a lot of sites with 'free' plans and here is the chosen one. Simple plans,easy to follow instructions. And lots of other projects to try as well.
http://myoutdoorplans.com/furniture/lounge-chair-plans/
So it's off to timber merchant next weekend, then playtime.. Smiley
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: A site for sore...thumbs?

If you are quite skilled at woodwork, and can make a decent job of them.... you should be proud of the results.... at least you haven`t got to work out the " cutting list "... and if you go to a "decent" timber merchant... you may even be able to get all the slats cut to exactly the right size...
Of course, you will have to go to B&Q to find the long cushions to lay on.... wood not be very comfortable....without...
Fixes: 125

That looks like a good project. It's something I wouldn't mind having a go at.
Can't wait to see the pics when it's complete Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I'm not that skilled, but I am one of the 'measure twice - cut once' brigade.  So one day to make will turn into 2 days, but the end result is what counts.
I sometimes infuriate my wife with my reading instruction - twice.  checking materials and fixings - twice.. she says that why we only have two children!! Embarrassed
Community Veteran

I'm not that skilled, but I am one of the 'measure twice - cut once' brigade.

Yeah.... me too...!  have fallen foul of rushing the measurements on several occasions... getting the slats cut at the timber merchants will make the job a whole lot easier...
Community Veteran

What impressed me with this plan is that the slats sit on a cleat ( dowel as I know it) so there is a little tolerance there.  I will post photo's when done.  Though it will be a minimum of 2 weeks, as I will be working next weekend.  I'm almost, I said almost, excited. Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
What impressed me with this plan is that the slats sit on a cleat ( dowel as I know it)

The "cleat" mentioned in the instructions is, in all practicality, a shelf which the slats rest on........ the slats are then screwed in from the outside to give rigidity and security to the slats.... The "Cleat" also gives support to the weight encountered from the reclining body, resting thereupon the slats !...
If you can find the cushion to fit..... you might be able to lower the level of the slats by about 1" ( 25mm)... and fit the cushion "inside" the frame.... this will help to keep it from slipping off, when you ( your missus) turns over for the other side to cook ! ..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Love that link, shades of the "New Yankee Workshop" Sky Documentary or Lifestyle Channels, usually early in the morning. Mind you he operates with some kit most DIYers would die for.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Well, that's given me plenty to do. My children have had a look at this site now.
My daughter wants me to make a fort for the grandchildren. And my son wants a shed and a fort.
(  Hmmmmm, what power tools do I 'need' now?  Time for some gentle hints, methinks. ) Wink Wink 
Fixes: 47

Quote from: shutter
when you ( your missus) turns over for the other side to cook ! ..

Not forgetting to be well basted with high factor sun block this summer Cool
I once mad a double bed for someone along similar lines.
I didn't have any plans, just a mattress size to work with.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation