cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sign that I should let the car go?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: A sign that I should let the car go?

@Luzern wrote:

;;; Traveling one day from Slough to near Tunbridge Wells, I saw my rep neighbour driving sedately on the inside lane. We arrived home within minutes of each other

So were you driving sedately behind him, or had you just overtaken him?  Cheesy

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

He was the sedate one, confounding the usual rep stereotype.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Hero

The backing plate was not included with the glass from the factor, so I've had to buy a whole unit. From Skoda it would cost about £115 incl VAT. The garage suggest I bought one from a site called sparesto and they would fit it, but were not allowed to order it.

VAT inclusive cost  £63. I received it  12:45 today from Estonia, which it had departed 16:00 our time yesterday.

Now would would cost  and delivery time be after Brexit-- 2 weeks and £100 plus?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

At least a year for delivery, five times the price plus bribes.

Then of course you would have to take into account that plague of locusts, the fact that half the country would be under water, banks would be State owned and all pensions and investments with have been suspend. Oh, and all males will have to castrated.

Going to be a tough old world after Brexit. Wink

Highlighted
Hero

@Luzern wrote:

The backing plate was not included with the glass from the factor, so I've had to buy a whole unit. From Skoda it would cost about £115 incl VAT. The garage suggest I bought one from a site called sparesto and they would fit it, but were not allowed to order it.

VAT inclusive cost  £63. I received it  12:45 today from Estonia, which it had departed 16:00 our time yesterday.

Now would would cost  and delivery time be after Brexit-- 2 weeks and £100 plus?

@Luzern 

Obviously I don't know which model Skoda you have but did you try this source?

You may have been able to get just the glass and backing plate a lot cheaper, and maybe from the UK to boot.  Wink

Highlighted
Hero

@RobPN Thanks for link: I'll have a look, but am a bit off as to buying from abroad or Ebay at this moment. The garage has told me the item does not fit, too small. I have emailed supplier with VIN to see if they do have the mirror for UK drivers side.

Apparently this happens not in frequently according to the garage, so I may end up buying from Skoda. Ouch!

Highlighted
Hero

@Luzern wrote:

@RobPN Thanks for link: I'll have a look, but am a bit off as to buying from abroad or Ebay at this moment. The garage has told me the item does not fit, too small. I have emailed supplier with VIN to see if they do have the mirror for UK drivers side.

Apparently this happens not in frequently according to the garage, so I may end up buying from Skoda. Ouch!

@Luzern 

At least if you buy from eBay and the item turns out to not be a suitable fit when described as so, you will have an easy refund/return system in place.

If you know the actual Skoda (or VAG) part number, simply Googling that number often finds sources which don't come up using words strung together.  Also bear in mind that some SKODA parts are interchangeable between SEAT and VW, I believe often sometimes having different part numbers for otherwise identical items.

Highlighted
Hero

@wotsup wrote:

.......I am no boy racer but do tend to drive close to speed limit ( I know my speedo is about 10% optimistic ) - weather and road conditions taken into account, and I know that some drivers  will still tailgate and try to push you to go faster. @wotsup Yep, and at night the arrogant fools are more intimidating with the dazzle especially when they're in an SUV or truck.

Highlighted
Hero

My contact with the Estonian factor has produced a good result with a witty email

Hello 

Sorry for that incident!
It is a bit of mess with LHD and RHD car parts fitment really on the
market since cross references are not accounted to that specific in
most cases.
For your car there shall be mirrors 6Y2 857 501 BB left rhd and 6Y2
857 502 BB right rhd - there are no aftermarket alternatives for these
OE references unfortunately 

In regards of ordered incorrect mirror, i have refunded you complete
cost since it would be not economically efficient to return it.
£-63.60 is refunded to your credit card. It may take up to 28 days
for your bank to process that refund and make it visible on the
statement.

Please scrap that BLIC 5402-04-1129522P - Outside Mirror [1] or let
neighbor kids play with t 
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Luzern   Nice one....

You may be interested in this EXCELLENT website....

https://www.briskoda.net/

brilliant forum  on there per model type too ! .. lots of useful posts, and info is spread around the skoda community .

You may even find a chance to get one from someone scrapping similar vehicle...

Tried your local scrapyard  ?   Often the whole mirror will be cheaper to get from them ....

Highlighted
Hero

@Luzern wrote:

My contact with the Estonian factor has produced a good result with a witty email

Please scrap that BLIC 5402-04-1129522P - Outside Mirror [1] or let
neighbor kids play with t 

@Luzern 

Or stick it you know where ...

... on eBay.  Wink

Highlighted
Hero

@shutter wrote:

@Luzern   Nice one....

You may be interested in this EXCELLENT website....

https://www.briskoda.net/

brilliant forum  on there ...

I agree @shutter , I've come across and read a few threads on that useful site/forum when I've been searching for VW info.

Highlighted
Hero

@shutter wrote:

Tried your local scrapyard  ?   Often the whole mirror will be cheaper to get from them ....

@Luzern 

Or maybe take a look at this site if your local scrappy hasn't got what you want;

https://www.breakeryard.com/

Highlighted
Hero

Mirror, the correct one, is with garage, but is black. Umm it's an old car but low mileage, so leave as is or get it painted to body colour for image? Hmmm.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You should be able to get a spray can of paint the exact match from the dealers.....only problem is the paint on your car may have shaded slightly.