cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sign that I should let the car go?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: A sign that I should let the car go?

@shutter 

Blimey, never pay anything like that despite their best efforts. I have yet to pay anything, the cost being covered by a voucher.

PS. If you are on leave from prison you also qualify for that free eye test. Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

Good to know, thanks for the reminder. Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

I get my free test annually and fortunately  pay for anything else; fortunately because my income is not as limited as some, and much else extremely expensive privately is free. As to glasses and frames, I prefer what is comfortable and suited to me.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Hero

I get my free test annually and fortunately  pay for anything else; fortunately because my income is not as limited as some, and much else extremely expensive privately is free. As to glasses and frames, I prefer what is comfortable and suited to me.

I've found the groups lacking, as has my wife, and prefer the smaller practices.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Don't know if the car we were following today was being driven by an optically challenged driver, but doing 25 mph in 60 limit ( on of those roads with just enough bends and hill crests to prevent overtaking ) and down below 20 in 30 limit with about 20 vehicles behind that the driver seemed oblivious of,  luckily the car turned of after about 5 miles.... if I had been a copper I would have pulled that car over for sure..

Highlighted
Hero

Annoying indeed, and a situation where patience has to be maintained. Afterall we can't know, if the car or driver, passenger, or contents need such stately progress.

If I smoked it would be time for that Murray Mint too good to hurry mint.Grin 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

If you had been a copper, given the road you describe would that not have caused even more delays?

Like Luzern, I try to be patient in these cases as you never know the circumstances and often of course the guy behind you is driving up your buttocks getting irate about you driving slow! 

Not long back from doing a bit of shopping and with lots a country roads around here on this occassion we were stuck behind one of the those really large tractors towing an even larger trailer with some sort of digger on it. All uphill for about five miles, bends, and no chance of getting past even if we could squeeze through what little gap there was.

No point in complaining as it's where we live and would be like moaning about heavy traffic on the M25 if were in London.    

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Don't mind tractors as they physically cannot go any faster and most will pull over and let faster vehicles pass when they get the chance,  but having been stuck behind many '40 milers' in our area - those people that do 40mph in 60, 50, 40, 30 limits ( yes a lot of them do 40 in 30 limits ) I do think they are either in their own bubble and completely oblivious to other road users or their mind works at 40mph and no faster or slower.  I have had some 40 milers speed up as you try to overtake them, and that is totally irresponsible.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Fair point, but so many these days see the speed limit as an objective which of course it's not. 

Deep breath, overtake if you must, but only when it's safe to do so. Thumbs_Up

Our road is 30mph limit for what it's worth and yesterday whilst pottering around at the front of the house I noticed down the road a bit a parked up police transit. With it's blacked out windows if looked to all intensive purposes like a speed camera van - which it was not. But did those speedy drivers think so? The certainly did, and what joy not to have cars going like the clappers on what is a very small road - so small in fact that it does not even have a B road designation, just C.   

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

For what few minutes these drivers save on a daily basis will never be more than the total time they lose when in hospital or court following an accident caused by them

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

https://www.wimbledondrivingschool.com/how-you-can-fail-your-test-by-driving-too-slowly

You can fail your driving test by driving too slowly,  you can certainly fail the advanced driving test as well, they call it 'not making progress' - I know the speed limit is not a target ( most people who say that have been caught speeding and gone on a speed awareness course,  but not me ) and I often drive at 20 on housing estates even though it may be 30 limit ) - but someone driving well under the posted limit is a danger sign that they are 1. not competent, 2. have a health problem, 3. are extremely nervous 4. have serious reaction problems or 5. quite commonly they have been drinking.... added to that they are like a moving roadblock and cause people to take chances when overtaking them,  and as I said earlier I have had some of them speed up as you try to pass them,  which is seriously bad driving.

I am no boy racer but do tend to drive close to speed limit ( I know my speedo is about 10% optimistic ) - weather and road conditions taken into account, and I know that some drivers  will still tailgate and try to push you to go faster.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

I appreciate that, and it can feel like a nuisance.

Far worse are those on a motorway driving at 30mph which of course is just downright dangerous for many reasons.

Odd though it may seem the slower we go, more cars can use the road as they are driving closer, the quicker you can get that your destination as less traffic jams.... and lower risk of accidents.

Win win. Smiley

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Having worked for so many years, and had fairly long commutes  ( 30 to 40 miles one way ) at peak times I looked forward to retiring and driving on emptier roads.  My wife who retired a couple of years before me told me not to get my hopes up as driving in the daytime could be a nightmare,  well what she said was true, there are lots of painfully slow drivers around in the daytime and journeys can take a lot longer than planned.  I have a sports motorbike that is seriously quick ( 0-60 3.1 sec,  0-100 8.7 sec ) and one of the reasons I enjoy riding it is that you can get past traffic in the blink of an eye.  There again I do stick to speed limits but with power to spare on the bike you do not get stuck behind '40 milers', and even if they accelerate when you are passing them it makes no difference on a motorbike.

As for slower vehicles being able to drive closer together the bunching of traffic behind slow drivers is not something that is particularly safe for anybody.  They do lower the speed limit on motorways at peak times when they are absolutely full of traffic but that is mainly to stop the effect of people braking suddenly and a 'backwards wave' traveling back down the motorway that can almost bring following traffic to a complete standstill,  and causes stop-start problems.  All things considered slowing motorway traffic down at peak flow should reduce fuel consumption and pollution,  but does slow down journey times.

Highlighted
Hero

Speed is a funny thing. How often one is overtaken by a must be there first, only to see him two cars ahead at the next junction shows how unproductive that is. Traveling one day from Slough to near Tunbridge Wells, I saw my rep neighbour driving sedately on the inside lane. We arrived home within minutes of each other

@Minivanman You're slipping, not commenting on the non sequitur of my last offering.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

I thought it followed on quite nicely given all those other suckers racing to get nowhere fast. Smiley