Did you mean: 

A sign that I should let the car go?

Highlighted
Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

A sign that I should let the car go?

or could it be something else?

Recently my o/s wing mirror hit another car's and all that happened was the glass sprung out, so I fixed it. A Couple of weeks later it happened again; the glass shattered, and back plate was lost.

Walking around I do sometimes have balance problems, if I turn suddenly to the right, and sometimes pass too near to an object such as a door post on that side. Wife tells me I lean to the right as well. Eyes are due yearly test.

Could any of the above and more be the cause of my incidents, and is it definitely time to give up?:cry:

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
47 REPLIES 47
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: A sign that I should let the car go?

@Luzern 

Impossible to answer that question until you have more information on both your sight and balance.

Personally I would not drive again until I had that info and even then ask myself do I feel comfortable / confident when driving.

You might be able to read a number plate at the required distance but your peripheral vision may be limited and been the cause of you clipping the wing mirror.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Get your eyes checked pronto or even better, have a chat with your doctor and again, pronto.

You might not only be a danger to yourself but to other roads users as well. In my view anybody over seventy years old should have some sort of driving test medical each year in order to keep their licence. 

If in doubt, give it up anyway. 

Not having a car is "not the death of a Bishop" as my Mrs would say. :wink:

PS. Over seventy m'self and gave mine up voluntarily for a year after a slight stroke. Had a medical after that time and then reapplied to the DVLA. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

It's possible you're suffering with an ear infection or similar (this is where we sense our balance). I've suffered with vertigo many times over the years, scary as hell when you wake up and find the room spinning...

At one time if i turned or leaned to the right everything would start spinning. Went to see the quack, he said tolt your head... which i did.. the room started spinning.. he said "yup, your eyes are moving rapidly from right to left, you've got an ear infection causing your balance to be impaired". Sure enough, some antibiotics took care of that.

Last time i suffered with vertigo was after that operation that went wrong in 2013. I came out of the recovery room back to the ward, the bed went round a corner and that was it.. i was clinging onto those side rails for dear life!

Thankfully it doesn't happen unless i'm suffering with something but as you get older i would suspect you start accepting things going wrong a bit more.. and so when the balance starts to go you probably think "it's just one of those things".

Go to the doctor and see what they say.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@7up  Makes a good point, best to start with a general checkup and explain everything you're concerned about...

ffox
Pro

@Luzern

I'm nearly as old as you and can appreciate your concern.  I agree with the other posters, have a check-up.  One thing that hasn't been mentioned is reaction time, which also deteriorates as one ages, so have that checked as well.

Don't fret about having to stop driving, it's much cheaper (albeit not so convenient) to use buses and taxis rather than to own a car.  Good luck! :smiley:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Regarding reaction times, as I've gotten older and the years have increased, so has the distance between myself and the car in front!

I certainly drive a lot slower these days and by that I mean keeping to the speed limit, and taking great pleasure in catching up with that Audi at the next set of lights - the one that went steaming past after being stuck so far up my rear end he could see what I had for breakfast that morning.

PS. That sign you mention @Luzern about letting the car go, was that the one you hit? :wink:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Cutting back on the G&T's also helps.

:wink:

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Luzern wrote:Recently my o/s wing mirror hit another car's and all that happened was the glass sprung out, so I fixed it. A Couple of weeks later it happened again; the glass shattered, and back plate was lost.

Unless there is a reason for clashing of mirrors e.g. many years ago, going down a country lane I'd decided I'd moved over far enough for this other driver who thought they owned the entire road. Mirrors clashed.

But twice in such a short time? Think I'd be looking at getting rid of the car and using other modes of transport. It needn't be the disaster you might think. My neighbour had a very nice new SUV which suddenly disappeared. Seems he was having trouble getting in and out of it. Gone. Now he goes everywhere locally by taxi. Seems he isn't out of pocket at all. As he said the car was costing money just sitting there. If it isn't using fuel, there's still the insurance etc to pay. He doesn't have to worry about any of that any more.

From the sounds of things I'd suspect your peripheral vision is partially shot. Have a word with your doctor, if need be, ask to be referred to the eye clinic for further tests. From my recent visits to the eye clinics, I can tell you they do far more in the hospital than any optician will ever do. Whatever you do, don't just ignore it.

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Luzern    This page may be of interest to you....

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/am-i-entitled-free-eye-test-nhs-optical-vouchers

it says....

Are eye tests free for over 60s?

If you’re aged over 60 then yes, you qualify for free NHS eye tests. 

Do I get free eye tests if I’m receiving benefits? 

Depending on what benefits you’re receiving, yes, you could receive a free NHS eye test. 

If you receive any of these, you’ll get eye tests for free: 

If you have a low income and have an NHS HC2 certificate that gives you full help with health costs, you’ll also qualify for free NHS eye tests. 

You might be able to get a reduced cost eye test if you have a low income and an NHS HC3 certificate

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@idonno wrote:

@Luzern wrote:Recently my o/s wing mirror hit another car's and all that happened was the glass sprung out, so I fixed it. A Couple of weeks later it happened again; the glass shattered, and back plate was lost.

Unless there is a reason for clashing of mirrors e.g. many years ago, going down a country lane I'd decided I'd moved over far enough for this other driver who thought they owned the entire road. Mirrors clashed.

But twice in such a short time? Think I'd be looking at getting rid of the car and using other modes of transport.

I'm thinking along the same lines.  I didn't post earlier because the OP seems to take umbrage at some of my opinions, but now that's been said I have to agree.  Mirrors clashing once, maybe, but twice in two weeks, that's cause for serious consideration.

Luckily it was only mirrors and not a pedestrian or other serious incident.

Brownie points to @Luzern  for expressing his concerns though.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

Thank you for all your kind concerned posts. The encounters funnily enough were close to home, where someone is having a massive extension done, so all sorts are parked in addition to residents' vehicles, making passage rather tight. Today there were six or seven all over the road, minimum Transit size. Not to make excuses though.

@RobPN Take umbrage at your opinions? Nah; I've never been a native of Umbrage Wells! Heartily disagree with you at times, I do.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

Worth pointing out that even if you do qualify for a free eye test along with help towards glasses if needed, you may well find as they most certainly, are in the game of making money and will try hard and sell you an expensive pair.

It happens to me every time I go to Specsavers for my free eye test and being more bothered about sight rather than style have to insist on a basic but just as good option rather than fancy fashion frames, special lenses, tinted glass, special coating and bifocals.

Haggle on price, works every time otherwise you might find yourself walking out of there having paid £100 for a 'free' eye test.

It's a well known fact that optometrists have to spend a month with a second hand car dealer before qualifying. :wink:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Minivanman  Been having my eyes tested every 2 years for ages now... and always chose the cheapest frames... no hassle... as for lens coating... no problem,... with the voucher system,  have never paid more than £80  for them.... I seem to remember they do offer  a second pair...(free ? can`t remember if that was or not) ...but I always refused... my logic being... I still have my old pair in the drawer at home.. so if anything happened to the new pair, then I would not be without.... and if nothing happens to the new pair....... what a waste... (to have the second pair languishing in the same drawer)..

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Coincidence ? Just received an NHS circular stating that if my next eye test is due and I have difficulty attending an Optician then they will arrange a home visit by a qualified optician with portable diagnostic equipment. Service supplied by OutsideClinic and naturally, eligibility checks apply....