cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sign of the times

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A sign of the times

A sign of the times. We received a Yellow Pages directory at our house. It is less than one centimetre thick and A5 format. Who remembers when it was big enough to slip between a young child and a kitchen chair to let them reach their meal?

In fact will a 10 year old child recognise Yellow Pages?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: A sign of the times

AlaricAdair wrote:

In fact will a 10 year old child recognise Yellow Pages?

Never mind that, they probably don't even know what a telephone is...Crazy

Yes, those are mine!!Yes, those are mine!!

Steve
Pro

They definitely wouldn't know what an ' operator ' was.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I thought they had ceased publishing it and were going fully digital?

Ours along with the Phonebook etc go straight in the recycling anyway so they're just a waste of paper
Community Veteran

I think I got one recently .. not 100% will check when I get home.

Now we all have to Google Fly Fishing by J. R. Hartly 😛
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

At the age he must have been  decades ago he'd have had more and more problems with fly fishing . Now I'll button up.Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

AlaricAdair wrote:

It is less than one centimetre thick and A5 format

Yes it wasn't that long ago when it was the same size as the telephone directory but twice as thick.

In a few years it's gone from Encyclopaedia Britannica to Mills & Boon.

Pete11
Pro

It used to be good for getting a nice fire or two going, but now you'd be lucky if it lit a a few twigs. Also, is it just me or has the paper it's made with changed? It doesn't have the same 'feel'.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Get them out for Sunday, Nov 5. Fuel for the fire.

I won't, as I am so acciendent prone I would probably set light to my house if I tried. But anyone with more DIY skills than me (i.e. more than zero) can try. Grin

Luzern
Pro

@Alex You're an amateur in DIY ineptitude. My skills are below zero. My mother definitely did have me.Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

uon a serious note, has anyone thought through what to do in case of a power cut?

Yellow Pages has a page of essential numbers (page 02 in my copy), which is very useful when reduced to candle and landline and all the modern technology fails. Yo do need a corded phone as well! 

We live in a semi rural area and have been prone to power cuts in the past and a quick call to the local distribution company (number found on above page 02) to report a fault or receive an update on repairs was essential, although I'm not sure if all of my neighbours knew I was looking after them!

Before anyone says it to my knowledge mobile masts don't have generators or UPS and the mobile signal will probably be lost with the power cut!

Yellow Pages and the Telephone Directory had a public service function which will be lost eventually and is probably lost to the snowflake generation already! Crazy2

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Hmm good point @PeterLoftus

I guess all you can do is go on-line and make a note of the numbers you'd need to call if it happens and write/print them off somewhere.

We had one when metal thieves tried to cut through a cable, about 7 years ago. My dad had a generator, which he used - wasn't a powerful one, but was enough for light, the fridge/freezer (otherwise you'll be chucking all your food out and having a big shop afterwards!) and the TV. That was about as much it could cope with.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Given many use cordless phones these days a landline is going to be a about as useful as a chocolate teapot in a power cut...

Fixes: 47

Hence the often repeated advice to get a cheap corded phone for use in such emergencies and also as a test of the line when a fault is suspected.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

That's a good point @DaveyH,

Mine are quite old now, hardly use the landline, but still work. In a power cut they just beep until the batteries run out. Though knowing me the beeping will get on my nerves and I'll either smash them up, or on a slightly more rational approach just take them out. Smiley  

For what they cost nowadays, it is worth having a cheapo one just in case. I only have one as the lady who lived here before me had one.