cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A shocking thought

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A shocking thought

The feed-in tariff for electricity is something like 43 pence a unit (though possibly reduced by Gov't decision) for those people using solar panels to contribute to the Grid. What is there to stop such people from buying mains electricity from their neighbours at 20 pence a unit and feeding that electricity into their Solar/Wind power system?  Profit of 23 pence per unit for no work?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
12 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: A shocking thought

Technically not easy to do as you can't feed the neighbours supply direct to the inverter and if you connect to the output of the inverter then good luck as the probability they will be on different phases.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I only thought there was single phase and three phase or are we talking about something different here ?
Community Veteran

It's all done via sealed and calibrated meters.
Not to mention that they know what you've installed so have a very good idea what you can generate.  Wink
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: itsme
Technically not easy to do as you can't feed the neighbours supply direct to the inverter ...

Fit a motor to the wind turbine? Shine a lamp on the solar panels? ...
However, as HPsauce  says any significant difference from what everyone else was achieving is likely to be spotted very quickly.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
I only thought there was single phase and three phase or are we talking about something different here ?

Next time you are in a street where the houses are fed by overhead cables have a close look. You will see 4 cables going down the street between the poles and each house will have 2 cables going to it. All houses will have a fed from the bottom cable but the second cable will be from one of the other 3.
Community Veteran

Okay, use the mains power to run a feed in generator .... not of course that I'd ever seriously consider doing such a thing.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles

If you look at where the electricity comes in to the house before the meter is the main fuse (which will be sealed). Near that should be a coloured disk which indicates which phase you are on. Normal arrangements are for every third house along the road to be on the same phase.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Sorry but still not clear on this. If I was on the 3rd house are you saying my supply would be three phase and if it was could I run equipment  fitted with a 3 phase motor. ?
Most of the machinery sold as second hand from industrial premises have 3 phase motors rather than single phase.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

No, each house is fed with ONE of the three distribution phases and the neutral, it is most economical (for balanced currents) to feed each of the phases in turn to consecutive properties.
If you want to run three phase equipment you'd most likely need a feed from your neighbours on each side (as well as your own), this would generally be considered highly dangerous to say the least.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Having had contact with someone on the distribution side recently I learnt what difficulties solar panels are causing. They'll sometimes have to move people to a different phase to keep things balanced. He told me about a farm fed from a single phase supply where he had panels on both the farm house and the outbuildings - then complained when the voltage went too high when the sun was shining!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
No, each house is fed with ONE of the three distribution phases and the neutral, it is most economical (for balanced currents) to feed each of the phases in turn to consecutive properties.
If you want to run three phase equipment you'd most likely need a feed from your neighbours on each side (as well as your own), this would generally be considered highly dangerous to say the least.
If you wished to do it this would be the safeway,
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/details/clarke-single-to-3-phase-converters/path/transformer...
itsme
Grafter

@jelv In the past i've wonder whether the balance is being screwed up bacause of renewable generation. Not easy to swap a house to a different phase if the cables are underground, which is the norm now.