Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A second vote for Brexit?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

A second vote for Brexit?

John Major is the latest 'has been' to call for a second vote on Brexit. Are they being serious, or are they just poop stirring the political pot?

My own view is that if they have a second vote and one which overturns the first, then in all fairness there should be a third 'paper, scissors, rock' vote. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
55 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: A second vote for Brexit?

one vote , one answer = OUT

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I guess democracy is what some people say it is - especially those Bremoaners who, for some reason, think we are geographically leaving Europe and not the EU. Crazy2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

This whole thing is doing my head in. We had a vote, we had an answer / decision from the public, we had MPs that agreed to do what we voted just as long as the vote went their way.

Well we (as a nation - I personally didn't vote) voted. They didn't like how we voted and now they're trying to stiff us.

They need to get over it. Yes being part of the EU might be better in the grand scheme of things in their eyes as it keeps them all sweet, employed and valuable in government spending but it seems to do little to keep the average joe employed and able to have a good standard of living when they're near the bottom of the pile.

All this nonsense about the EU trying to grab northern ireland needs to stop too. It's simple, no hard border. Those wanting to come across from NI to the mainland may still do so as long as they have some sort of ID card proving they're irish / northern. Job done. Simplez.

No second vote, no vote rigging, no project fear v2. Just get on with it for crying out loud. Sir John has no idea what the EU has been doing to the people near or at the bottom of the pile in this country, he must accept that as a nation we've had enough of it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@7up

Doing my head in as well, it's impossible to watch the news or some other programs without the subject of brexit coming up.

Wish there was an app I could put on my telly that put on some music or anything else as soon as the subject of brexit came up.

Of course there is the off switch but there may be something that follows on later you want to see.

On principal I would always do the very opposite of what Blair was advocating.

As for the border in Ireland, well NI do not want one, Southern Ireland do not want one, the UK does not want one so what is the EU going to do, come across and build one ? With the past history of Ireland I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to go to Ireland and build one.

Of course with no border it might appear that anyone in the EU could get into the UK but if they had a legitimate reason to cross the border in either direction for work, shopping, visiting relatives who cares, of course some will use the border to gain living in the UK but most will not have enough money to support themselves without work or the necessary documents to get housing, jobs, access to the NHS etc and if they could not prove they should be here then immediate deportation back to the EU mainland as we would assume they were EU citizens.

Yes there is the issue of trade but I cannot see that should be a major problem between north & south hardly on a massive scale when considered against the overall trade figures for the EU.

Fixes: 70

As they say it's like most divorces.....a messy negotiated outcome made more complicated by the polygamous nature of the original marriage.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran

Go for the best of five, I'd say.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Strat

Polygamous nature of marriage?

Not in the EU surely. Wink

Anyways, just so long as we can keep Corbyn and his innumerate sidekick Abbott away from any negotiations then even if a little damp, it'll all come out in the wash.    

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

leaving Europe and not the EU. Crazy2

You mean like the telly ad for dna ancestry testing saying like it's a surprise that we are 60% European.

I think they mean very near 100%.

Unless they have a dna test for EU membership.

alanj
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

My own view is that if they have a second vote and one which overturns the first, then in all fairness there should be a third 

Given that the first referendum was in 1975, and it was the loony right Brexit xenophobes who demanded the second referendum, I assume then that you will think it is fine for those of us who wish to remain to continue campaigning for a further, third, referendum.

alanj
Aspiring Pro

It seems even Theresa May knows that there will need to be a hard border with Ireland if we leave the Customs Union and Single Market:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-northern-ireland-customs-uni...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@alanj

Ah but the bit you missed out is that the majority voted to join a common market but what we ended up with is anything but a common market.

Does it not make sense to have a common market with open trading but leave countries to be run by leaders the members of that country voted for ?

We might not like what goes on in some countries but is it our job to impose our values on them ?

A common market is a good idea and that's what it should be a Market ..........and nothing else.

alanj
Aspiring Pro

@gleneagles

While it is true that the EU has developed a fair amount from the European Community in which the majority voted to remain in the 1975 referendum, but all the changes were approved by our democratically elected representatives.

Can you perhaps clarify what you mean by “We might not like what goes on in some countries but is it our job to impose our values on them ?” Are you suggesting other countries are imposing their values on the UK? If so, please can you give some examples?

And when you say “leave countries to be run by leaders the members of that country voted for”, are you suggesting that the UK is not pemitted to be run by the leaders members of the UK voted for? If so, please let’s have some details.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@gleneagles wrote:

@alanj

Ah but the bit you missed out is that the majority voted to join a common market but what we ended up with is anything but a common market.

Does it not make sense to have a common market with open trading but leave countries to be run by leaders the members of that country voted for ?

We might not like what goes on in some countries but is it our job to impose our values on them ?

A common market is a good idea and that's what it should be a Market ..........and nothing else.

This.

Nothing wrong with the single market / customs union, it's being ruled by abroad that we seem to have a problem with. EU policies don't work well for the average joe, trading does.

It would appear that westminster is cutting off our nose to spite our face. They didn't get what they wanted so they need to make us all feel like we're under threat. In essence Fear v1.5

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanj
Aspiring Pro

@7up wrote:

it's being ruled by abroad that we seem to have a problem with

So can we have some examples of how you think we are ruled by ‘abroad’?