cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A seasonal warning.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

A seasonal warning.

'Tis the season for phishing emails. So far I have had three in the past few weeks.
Two bore the Barclay's Bank logo informing me of a transfer of money -  they didn't state whether it was to or from my account.
The third claimed to be from Amazon and refered to an order I had made. (I hadn't)
Each of the three emails bore an attachment which, of course I did not open.
These scammers increase their criminal activity at this time hoping that we will be busy with our Christmas arrangements and open the attachments without thinking.
The emails are always rather vague in the information they give - this is the bait to encourage you to open the attachment.

27 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: A seasonal warning.

Today I've been inundated with emails purporting to be from Royal Mail  Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I've had one regarding a mail server update from navigue.com
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Love warm mince pies !
Sorry, misread the title thought it said 'Seasonal Warming'  Grin
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
I Love warm mince pies !
Sorry, misread the title thought it said 'Seasonal Warming'  Grin
do you prefer them with brandy butter or cream (traditional) or one of the more modern toppings like brandy cream sauce?
personally I like a nice galls of mulled cider or the odd splosh of gluhwein to accompany a nice warm mince pie with just a light drizzle of cream  Tongue

as for the topic, I get such junk mail every day and only notice as I check to make sure nothing important got filtered incorrectly  Cool
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

We've had some today from [supposedly] RM claiming our parcel from overseas has been detained by customs and we need to fill in the attached form.  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Phone call today from the world wide web department. My computer has been infected and has sent an error report to the 'main' server so they decided to call me.
Strangely they didn't know my ip address but got my phone information from my windows licence key  Roll eyes Despite that they couldn't tell me which computer it was or what OS. I even gave them a multiple choice of 2000, XP, Vista or 7.. they wouldn't even take a lucky shot  Crazy - He did say they had all the details from my licence key!
Christmas is coming and the conmen want your money.. be warned people..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

My parents get those, they fob them off with "No it isn't, our son works in IT and manages our computers" (which is true).
I must admit, I get loads of fake e-mails asking to open an attachment or go to a non-official link. They're getting harder to tell apart without really looking at them.
RichAllen
Grafter

If you open a dodgy attachment even if you know very well it's dodgy, you deserve every bit of virus IMO.
I used to get loads of phishing emails on my Hotmail account, but now that I never use it apart from logging into Xbox Live, I don't get any.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: 7up
Phone call today from the world wide web department. My computer has been infected and has sent an error report to the 'main' server so they decided to call me.

Same old con, but I've not heard of those particular 'credentials' before.  Grin
Not young enough to know everything
myredhotcar
Grafter

I had an email from my nan to say she had been arrested in Brazil and needed £6000 for bail. I wasn't aware of this holiday and couldn't imagine her getting arrested so I paid it. Senile old bat can't even remember going abroad now so little chance of getting the loan back from her. Due to her recent symptoms of dementia I found her a lovely retirement home online. Apparently Cliff Richards is a resident, there are personal chefs, and the staff are provided by BUPA. Bit miffed they wanted the first two years upfront though and for some strange reason they will only accept Bitcoin. Modern times I guess.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 4C

Same old con, but I've not heard of those particular 'credentials' before.   Grin

Trust me I had a hard time gritting my teeth instead of laughing down the phone at them!
I managed to stretch it out for at least 7 minutes before I got bored. At that point I lost it and swore at the bloke who then swore back at me. I told him to FO and expect the police at his door lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

7 minutes? I would've told him what he can do with his phone calls a LOT quicker.
I got a call from a Farm last week, trying to sell me fruit and veg, I told this woman I eat very little of either, she insisted I buy from their Farm, I said "look love, I don't want to be rude, but I already told you I am not interested" and put the phone down.
A few weeks back some idiot rang up to sell me double glazing, I told him to P off and put the phone down, 30 seconds later he rang back, so I told him to F off.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: RichAllen

7 minutes? I would've told him what he can do with his phone calls a LOT quicker.

I wish I could get some of these phone calls.... just for the entertainment value....  Grin
If they are spending "their" money, on staff, premises, phone equipment, training, (?) and call time.... surely you should help them along the way, and keep them chatting for as long as possible.... after all, think of all the people involved in making that phone call happen, and all the employment you are ensuring.....
By cutting them off short, you make them feel useless, and unwanted, and deflate their personal assessment. and also, you will eventually put loads of people out of work, causing the economy to crumble...
Get a grip... pick up that phone and talk to them... stop them from feeling lonely... and have a whale of a time doing it!....
Life is for living, and enjoying.... why be a spoilsport ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

My computer has been infected and has sent an error report to the 'main' server

Grin Grin
Best i've heard this week!  why don't i get any quality calls like this  Shocked