cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A safety warning

ArthurDent
Grafter

A safety warning

If you have an Indesit, Hotpoint, Creda (or certain own brands) either vented or condenser tumbledryer, you need to be aware that there is still a safety warning in place on about five million driers (sp?) manufactured over a period of several years up to last September of 113 models (according to Which?). There have been new reports of actual fires even in the past few days, and one death possibly due to the fault. Apparently all the brands are ultimately owned by Whirlpool USA and probably all come out of the same factory.

Googling turns up plenty of information and, if you haven't checked already, can tell you if your model is affected.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: A safety warning

I Think this topic came up for discussion on the forum some months ago but you are right to flag it up again as it is an important issue.

The company is telling people to continue to use these dryers but I wonder if your insurance company would pay out in the case of a fire claiming you had used a faulty machine ? Even if they did pay out your premiums would rise.

We were informed a engineer would call last month but this moved to May so on looking at the deal offered to customers with faulty machines you can get a new tumble dryer for £59 including delivery and fitting plus disposal of the old model

I can understand why some people would not be interested in this offer but I finally decided to take the offer up as the old model is at least 3 years old, only time will tell if my decision turns out to be correct.

Smiley

ArthurDent
Grafter

We were quoted November for a fix, which I wasn't about to accept. And, unlike you, I decided not to accept Indesit's 'kind offer' to let me spend, on the basis that, as a reporter said on TV, it's a bit rich to ask punters to pay them more.

As we know from car history, a design fault can occasionally occur in the best regulated company. But, the situation has been handled badly. In my opinion, to report that "It's safe to use" but "Please don't leave it unattended" seems like a contradiction in terms. Either it's safe or it ain't. There's no such thing as 90% safe.

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed spurious links to tbb.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

But I am not sure how you will go on from there ?  If you have refused the fix and not going to take up their offer of a new machine then how do you proceed ?

You could take legal action against them but due to cost it's unlikely you will do so, you might wait for a better offer but how long will you wait ? meanwhile you have a potential dangerous dryer which might catch fire and even if you are present and it catches fire you have to switch the electricity off before chucking a bucket of water over it so there will still be some damage to other items such as a worktop

ArthurDent
Grafter

Pssst. Since you ask, by making myself thoroughly objectionable (which is one of my few life-skills) I managed to get a replacement  at n/c.