cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sad farewell to a dear friend - I will miss you!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A sad farewell to a dear friend - I will miss you!

Tomorrow, the last Landrover defender will roll off the production line.  Cry Cry Cry
I have fond memories of them.not all good I must admit, but a real iconic workhorse.
I've slept in them, under them, and on top of them. Been up mountains, down steep muddy hills,and through deep,fast running water in them. We've towed,winched and pushed broken down vehicles in them. We've pulled out body panels-away from the tyres ,hammered out dents,and repainted scratches with paint and old rags (where we forgot to bring brushes).
And through all this mistreatment they kept going. 
On a combined exercise with the Americans, every American that came with us in the defender loved it ( they also preferred out ration packs,especially the tins of 'Mixed fruit pudding', which they exchanged their packet meals for - until we tasted them. The novelty wore off pretty quick  Sad).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/end-of-the-road-for-the-land-rover-defender/
6 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: A sad farewell to a dear friend - I will miss you!

I passed my Test in a series 3 at RAF st athan in 73 ,,,,,,, loved them sad to see the last off the line
Ps yes its mine 1984 not stuck got out to take photo Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Tomorrow, the last Landrover defender will roll off the production line.  Cry Cry Cry 

But but but...  it isn't! A new one is on the way! All they have done is update it.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2018-land-rover-defender-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature
Community Veteran

Gone to the states? Looking at the pictures it looks like a beefed up mini (the new ones not the original genuine mini, that was actually 'mini' ). Will they perform or be as durable? If it's for the American market it will be weighed down with signal the extras and 'comfort packs' than are expected as standard in high end vehicles.
So new body, new chassis, new engines? Let's be honest, the name will live on much like the 'mini' name, but it won't be the same beast. I've nothing against progress, but to cynically call the new jeep a landrover defender is just an emotionally marketing ploy.
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
Let's be honest, the name will live on much like the 'mini' name, but it won't be the same beast

Same with the Beetle.
Car makers seem to have so little confidence in any new models that they have to use old names.
Mind you the old models were distinctly different. Newer cars are much the same muchness so only the name remains different.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: nozzer
But but but...  it isn't! A new one is on the way! All they have done is update it.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2018-land-rover-defender-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature

That is seriously ugly, it looks like a Vitara on steroids.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Anyone with an old land rover in good condition is likely to see it go up in value.........they are a real icon.
Smiley