Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A result of sat-nav dependency?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: A result of sat-nav dependency?

@Luzern

Sat navs can be updated, last car had a sat nav which was on disk,  current car has also inbuilt sat nav on a memory card cost of updated disk or card is around £70 and is likely to be up to 12 months out of date, the display and info available is total rubbish so I use a Garmin sat nav which I find excellent.

Most Sat navs these days come with free updates for the life of the sat nav, exactly what the definition of ' life' is I have no idea

As mentioned by others check the route on a paper map then use the sat nav, very handy if you are in a town and city for the first time.

No doubt most modern mobile phones have a sat nav map but never having used one I have no idea how good or bad they are

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

One of my daughters' husbands has a double cab truck, but due mileage he does and work on sites, I doubt the sat-nav will be out of date before his firm  gives him another. Wife and I have been in it, as he took us to Devon, where he had a work visit, I don't mind the directional help messages, but it seemed over kill to hear, 'layby ahead ... yards. Keep right'. And there were plenty. I feel like I'm in Notre Dame in speed camera land; the bells, the bells!:2funny:

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@Luzern wrote:

... but it seemed over kill to hear, 'layby ahead ... yards. Keep right'. And there were plenty. I feel like I'm in Notre Dame in speed camera land; the bells, the bells!:2funny:

This is the age of announcement overload; here are a few I have to endure while waiting for a train:  Don't smoke, Report anything suspicious, Keep your luggage with you, If you see someone who is unwell, please assist them from the train, Let passengers off before boarding, The platform may be slippery when wet.  And this one more recently:  The platform may be uneven in places, take care when walking.  The passengers are usually adults who've just come from streets with uneven pavements so I suspect they have the necessary ability to find their way to a train without tripping over and coming to serious harm.

And don't get me started on "In this hot weather make sure you carry water with you and keep hydrated."  Gee, I didn't know the cure for thirst was as simple as having a drink of water!

Fixes: 394

My daughter lives in a house on the right hand end of a crescent of properties.

Google maps showed the crescent as unnamed.

I pointed out the inaccuracy to Google who corrected the right half of the crescent by naming it.

The left half of the crescent remained unnamed.

Are you with me so far...

My Garmin Sat-Nav has the left half of the crescent named correctly but not the right half which to Garmin doesn't exist at all including my daughter's house.

Just to confuse the issue further, the crescent isn't actually a road but a footpath, the nearest road runs past the ends of the crescent.

Thankfully it doesn't bother the postman who delivers whether or not there is a road.

Garmin has a facility for advising them of map errors which I tried.

However some of the compulsory drop-down boxes didn't offer my sat-nav as the device so in the end I gave up.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just been test driving a Ford Kuga, which has a very impressive touchscreen 8" live sat nav map display as you drive along.

It is also multifunction, programmable, showing many sensors.

It will also auto update maps etc, if you park within wifi distance of your home (once enabled) !!