cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A reminder to remember not to forget.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

A reminder to remember not to forget.

Like most people, I’ll make a note or an entry in my diary to remind me of important upcoming dates and appointments. But one thing I have noticed and that it never lets me down is asking someone to remind you.

I was asked by a director to submit a report to him on or by the 21st. I hadn’t done it by the 20th so I asked my sons at dinner that day to ask me by lunchtime the next day if I’d completed and sent it.

Now the next morning this popped into my head, not the fact that I was to send the document but the question as to whether I would be reminded, as I remember that I'd asked and as a consequence I completed the document and had it sent off before breakfast.

Every time I do this the same thing happens, that is I remember reminding someone, resulting in that I never forget what I’ve asked to be reminded about. I just thought I’d share this in case someone else can make use of the same approach.

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: A reminder to remember not to forget.

Yeah, but.....................  did they remember to remind you?  or was that a "lost cause" ?

Community Veteran

Oh yes, they remembered, but not until dinner time, when it was too late!

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Do most people keep diaries?

Not something I've ever done, but I am one for forgetting things. Birthdays, doctor appointments and 'grandchildren sitting' dates and the like go on our kitchen calendar. Other stuff such as jobs that need doing around the house for example I leave items laying around - such as my toolbox in front of the bathroom door which prompts me to think "err, why did I leave that there".

As for relying on others to remind me, well that's just blame shifting for when the job does not get done. Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Well I don’t know about diaries in the paper form, but I do suspect that in itself is a dying tradition; but I mean (or meant) my computer’s calendar application, so I can get alarms and notifications. I’ve found that by asking someone to remind me (not to shift the blame) and whether they remember or not) never fails me.

Well I say never fails me, but of course there could be something I’ve forgotten!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Why not do it when someone says they need something doing, then it's done and no need to remember it and therefore no chance of forgetting... Smiley

Community Veteran

In this instance it wasn't as easy as that, I had the document index and TOC to complete, along with a final proof read, and this was on top of my normal work. But I agree with you, and I normally try to work that way, there is nothing worse than procrastination. But I'll tell you more about that some other time.