cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A really sensible article in the Daily Mail

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A really sensible article in the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2541773/Drowned-EU-millions-Thought-extreme-weather-blame-fl...
Water sinks into the soil under trees at 67 times the rate of soil under grass
Farmers are not eligible for EU payment if the land is covered by trees
As a result, flood-preventing trees are cut down, removing vital protection
10 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: A really sensible article in the Daily Mail

As featured in the Guardian from earlier in the week:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/13/flooding-public-spending-britain-europe-policie...
Referenced version on the journalist's blog here:
http://www.monbiot.com/2014/01/13/drowning-in-money/
Just for info, and to add a bit of variety to the 'republish the Daily Mail' nature of many Chit Chat posts...  Wink

Community Veteran

An interesting article Jim and one we need to learn a lesson from. Thanks for posting.
Community Veteran

That, taken with the lack of snow on high ground over winter, goes a long way to explaining why we are in theses predicaments ATM!
Our local authority is also going back to 'soakaways' for new builds rather than piping into the surface water systems meaning that rainwater now takes weeks to reach the river rather than hours!
Geoff,
York.
nanotm
Pro

trees are indeed a big part of the problem as is over development water course diversion and silting of water ways which when combined together give us the current situation, and its not just farmers that are to blame, shortly after the NRA ceased to exist the environment agency appeared with logging equipment and chopped down all the trees along large swathes of riverbank, a complete and utter travesty designed to engineer the problems that have now cropped up 12 years later......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I'm just about to chop down trees on the river bank of the field that we are turning into an orchard. The wrong sort of trees have grown up on the banks during years of neglect of the previous owner. They have fallen into the river and have allowed erosion to increase.  However we are replacing those with  over 200 willow saplings  Maybe I should seek funding, but at a cost of less than £1 per new tree it hardly seems reasonable. The whole agricultural funding process seems unbalanced and some serious rethinking needs to be done as to what this country wants to achieve.
However I did have to contact the Environment Agency and the local county council to get approval before I could plant the trees on the river bank. At one point I was asked to have an independent environmental impact assessment study undertaken (at my cost), as it was multiple forms were required.  All this to improve some waterlogged land.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
randpwar
Grafter

Shouldn't the title of this thread be 'Another really sensible article in the Guardian'?  Wink
Okay, only joking, but it's interesting that these two papers which are so very different in their opinions should print the same article. I don't read the DM (unless I'm round at my parents and I really want to annoy myself) so I've no idea whether Monbiot regulalry has articles printed in that rag but he's a fairly regular contributor the Grauniad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Monbiot is spreading his wings a lot further than the Guardian but I must admit to being surprised that firstly he had a story in the Mail and second why they accepted a dead ringer of an article from the Guardian
nanotm
Pro

probably because its clicks that count, often freelancers sell to multiple outlets (the exact same copy) on the cheap on the grounds its not exclusive and the only reason such articles get messed about is editors
its refreshing sometimes to see every paper carry the exact same copy of an article without it being spun in any particular slant by there editing team
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Monbiot is a freelance journalist and his articles appear in various papers including the Telegraph. Articles by freelance journalists often appear in more than one paper. Had the article been commissioned by the Guardian the Mail would have had to give a credit to them.
Community Veteran

I'm not sure we can blame the Single Payment Scheme for forcing the mass clearance of vegetation from the hills. The uplands of Britain were largely deforested by the end of the Bronze Age and the Tudors pretty much finished the job. The last century has seen mass afforestation of the uplands (albeit involving quite a lot of spruce) and the trend is still upwards. Some woodland is eligible for the SPS, and although the SPS encourages clearance of scrub from permanent pasture, it also encourages clearance of bracken, and bracken cover increases runoff.
There was the threat of a hiatus in support for tree planting over the transition to the new CAP arrangements, but Defra eventually plugged the gap just before the Monbiot article appeared. The new system of grants will be more "targeted", but water management is one of the targets - we'll see.
Gabe