Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A "good" read

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A "good" read

Just to lighten the mood a bit.
I know there are some avid readers (some with Kindle's etc.) in this forum, I'm one of them. Just recently I have been ploughing through some of the (mostly free purchase) classics such as Dicken's, A C Doyle and others. Most of these free books are presented in the original unabridged text. What has struck me is just how difficult some of this vernacular text is to get to grips with.
An example is R L Stephenson's Treasure Island that I currently have on the go. Given that it is mostly written as a narrative by the first person removed (Jim Hawkins with occasional short chapters by the doctor and the squire) it is to put it bluntly hard work at times with much written in a version of "old" seafarers language, no doubt in common usage at the time of writing. I've read (regularly) Greek mythology that is much easier to read.
I can just about remember reading this book in junior school (times were different then in education, my twin brother and I were excellent readers before junior school, our Mum saw to that) and don't recall that much trouble with it, maybe we read an abridged version.
It does make me wonder though, that if some of the classic authors were around today if their offerings would get past the manuscript stage with publishers.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: A "good" read

I too like to read, both on paper and in kindle. The only book I have read that gave me serious issue was Chaucer's Canterbury Tales but I won't bigynne to explain why. :-)
Speaking of Kindle I have begun to buy physical books again, even if the title is available on Kindle. There is something about the feel, the holding and the physical turning of the pages that is obviously missing from e-readers, and it's something I miss. Also, there is something therapeutic about putting in your place marker and shutting the book prior to going to sleep. Or maybe that's just me!
Community Veteran

I've never stopped buying physical books but only if they are not available on Kindle, this applies to technical books that are usually illustrated and in a much larger format, although Kindle does try and is getting better at it, they don't really work well in my opinion.
Otherwise, I took a long time to come around to Kindle until I actually tried one and was completely sold almost in an instant. For novels etc. I wouldn't swap my Paperwhite for the pages of a "real" book.
Mind you, running out of battery power away from a charge point can be a pain. Does anybody know if the current crop of portable 4.5v chargers will charge up a Kindle?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Petlew - try something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-mini-Aluminum-Lipstick-Sized/dp/B005QI1A8C/ref=sr_1_3/280-85... I have an older version which I keep charged in my 'going-away' bag. Recharges from the USB on the computer and has never let me down yet.
There are plenty of other options, but I've always used Anker portable chargers - quality is second to none.
John
Community Veteran

Many thanks Jab1...ordered, but the slightly higher powered version (not quite so pocket friendly, size not cost). Useful for all the other rechargeable devices as well.

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I doubted I would like a Kindle but from the minute I started reading I have never looked back.
I haven't bought a wood book since because mainly of the room they take up. In the 3 years I've had my Kindle I I've around 120 books.
Running out of charge always appears to happen two minutes after I start reading in bed at night  Sad so I put the Kindle app on my tablet as well.