Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question for the forum admin

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

A question for the forum admin

I also use smf forums as they are free and fairly stable, i have this mod installed http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=977 ( Aeva-Lite-7.2.zip ).
As you will know this allows and displays youtube vids in forum posts, you dont need ftp all you do is download the zip and install it into the package manager bit in admin area.
Have you ever thought about this? Would be cool to be able to share youtube clips in posts.
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: A question for the forum admin

Would be cool to be able to share youtube clips in posts.

and you can.............................. just post the youtube url at the top of the video page !....
what is really needed is some way of uploading short videos direct from our own cameras, and not via youtube or other third party sites. (as we do with pics)....
Fixes: 104

Personally I don't like that, I want the choice as to whether to watch the clip or not (mostly not) embedded players are enough of a hassle and wast of bandwidth on other sites.
One of the great things about here is it's cleanness.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Got to admit, I'd prefer to see an embedded player in the forum topic pages rather than opening another link to youtubes high CPU resource eating pages.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

That presents an interesting question; how many participants here actually open every YouTube link that are posted. I certainly don't.
Indeed my least favourite post are those that have only a web or YouTube link in them with not a word of information, afraid I just pass over these unread. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

I probably open 1 in a 100, it's bad enough opening a topic just to see a link as petlew said without weighing the page down with yet another plugin
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I agree.... just posting a link is very annoying... mostly I ignore them... however, having the facility to upload a "personal" video as opposed to a youtube video would be an advantage. as there would be some sort of description in the posting to say what the reason for posting the video (as opposed to pics)
Generally when pics are posted, they are as an "aide" to the posting, so the same could be said of "personal" video...
(of course, the very high standards of this forum would be maintained by members, and posting of "inappropriate" video would not happen).

that'd require a large amount of server space..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Petlew
Indeed my least favourite post are those that have only a web or YouTube link in them with not a word of information, afraid I just pass over these unread.   

@Petlew:- Good point, I'm certainly guilty of posting 'links only'. Maybe should be part of forum etiquette to announce that the posting contains a URL as part of the thread title.
Community Veteran

Could be wrong (without looking it up) but isn't that already the case. If not I'm with you there journeys.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Ignoring Chit Chat, I'm struggling to see how there would be many occasions when posting a video would be appropriate!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
St3
All Star

just have a vid section and people who want to p[ost or view it can, if its not your cupper tea then dont look in that section.  As long as theres somebasic rules like o adult crap or swearing then i cant see why not Smiley
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

Agree with jelv, in what context would a personal video be posted. Video's of your latest offspring rolling on a sheep-skin rug would have limited appeal outside of your own family (Ok an extreme example perhaps) and probably best left on your own web site. But "personal" videos are a bit like passing round family photos at a party you can't wait to pass them on to the next person, having made occasional polite noises but having no real interest.

Community Veteran

I agree with most of the regular posters - no need to change.
Community Veteran

Agree with jelv, in what context would a personal video be posted

Well, I would liked to have put a short video of the steam powered record player, actually playing a record on the turntable, with the condensation of the steam, and the sound coming from the "speaker". Much more interesting than a "still" photo.

The sort of thing that is "nice" on a forum like this, but would be lost in the mist of time and space on you tube.
I could have put it on my blogsite,  and just listed the URL.............  Roll eyes        but .... not everyone has a blogsite................