cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about vehicle speed limits or rather speed restrictions.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

A question about vehicle speed limits or rather speed restrictions.

Can anyone clarify the following. I am needing to collect some rack cabinets so I thought I'd hire a Luton van and do it myself for the jolly. However, I have been advised by someone that these vehicles are subject to speed restrictions. Having witnessed 'white van man' driving this type of vehicle, I called this to question. On the DVLA site there are references to speed restrictions but as I read it not for this class of vehicle.
The Luton is a derivative of the Transit (see link) but as its total laden weight is less than 7.5t I see it comes into the first category for Goods Vehicles as listed in the link. Is my interpretation correct?
I'm not asking this to get one over on anyone, I'm asking so I don't get done for speeding and two so I have an estimate of how long the trip will take.
19 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: A question about vehicle speed limits or rather speed restrictions.

Unless rules have changed very recently vehicles below 7.5t have same speed restrictions as private car and can use outside lane of motorway.
Community Veteran

Thanks nadger, that's exactly what I thought. So at least that will save me time (if not fuel).
itsme
Grafter

According to the table they have lower restrictions and is highlighted by the following
Most vans under 7.5 tonnes laden (loaded) weight, including Ford Transit vans:
    have a lower speed limit than cars
    must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight

Community Veteran

That's correct. But if you look at the speed limit for that classification you'll see it is the same as a car unless you are towing.
Goods vehicles (not more than 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight) 30 (4Cool 50 (80) 60 (96) 70 (112)
60 (96) if articulated or towing a trailer
itsme
Grafter

Think you need to go to specsavers?
for cars it's 30 60 70 70
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I wasn't aware of the lower limit on dual carriageways and using the Wayback Machine it has been like that since at least 2012 and checking with Google at least as far back as 2005
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

when did the car limit on motorways drop from 80mph to 70 ? makes me glad I don't have a licence anymore if you cant open up the motor at all /
@ op
lutons are under the same rules as larger vehicles and are limited to 55 on dual carriageways and motorways because of the high sides, I was in one a few weeks ago that got pulled over and the driver issued a statutory fine notice for exceeding the limit (doing 60) on a motorway /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
itsme
Grafter

I'm glad that you have not got a licence anymore as you clearly don't know the regulations.
There have never been an 80 or 55 MPH speed limits
Community Veteran

No doubt he will try and argue there were though...
pwatson
Rising Star

Best advice re: nanotm (as he has previously admitted posting nonsense as a wind up)
nanotm
Pro

mmm seems I was miss recalling the speed limits, the lower 55 limit on goods vehicles is based around the speed limiters they have to be fitted with by law (anything over 3.5ton gvw) which necessarily are based around the national limit on single track roads /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Have a llok at this Mook, it may actually answer your question: http://findlaw.co.uk/law/motoring/driving_licence/buses_vans_caravans_and_lorries/10016.html
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Talking of speed limits was there ever a time when we had no speed limits ? ie in the early days of the first motorways ?
What of coaches and massive HGV's are they restricted to lower speed limits on motorways ? From my own driving experience I have not observed this.
And getting back to the op I have no idea of the answer but a friend of mine got a fine for driving a white van at 70 and was told he was restricted to 60.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Talking of speed limits was there ever a time when we had no speed limits ? ie in the early days of the first motorways ?
Yes and the M1 was used to test top speeds of cars.