cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about Netflix

Anonymous
Not applicable

A question about Netflix

I took out a month’s free subscription to this service, to sample it really and as I’d like to watch a series that is only available to US customers due to copyright issues* so being in the UK I can’t watch it. I assume I’ll just have to live with this or is there anything I can do?

* Ironically the series is available in the UK on DVD (for horrendous money on Amazon!)

9 REPLIES 9
Crunchie
Rising Star

Re: A question about Netflix

If you're watching through a Smart TV app, then there's not much you can do.

If you're watching using an iPad (or similar), then you can use VPN to pretend you're somewhere else.

Google "Netflix VPN" for more information.

Example: https://www.techradar.com/vpn/best-netflix-vpn

"Just when you think you've managed to work your way through the best of Netflix's film and TV catalogue, suddenly the 'recently added' section is filled with loads of new content. And that's just in your country - imagine how much more can be accessed with a VPN for Netflix.

A VPN's ability to unblock geo-restricted access has made it an essential bit of software if you're planning a holiday or business trip and want full access to your usual favorite shows and films on Netflix.

And that's not all. A VPN - or Virtual Private Network - also let you access content that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to reach due to your location, such as getting the US Netflix in the UK (with all its extra content). Some countries block Netflix completely, of course – for example, China – and again, you can use one of our top Netflix VPN picks to get around this."

Pete
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Anonymous  Download and install "Windscribe"...  (you can get it as a n "addon"  with Firefox Tools... )    and you can access  US vpn`s... depending on where the tv is .. east . central... west.... and many other countries...

you are allowed 2gb per month without registering... but if you register you get 10 gb a month allowance...  its free to register... and you get notified when your month is topped back up to the 10gb again..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify my viewing would be through Apple TV so by the looks of it I'd need a VPN but I can’t use one as that would route all other traffic and cause me other issues. Oh well, not the end of the world.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,176

Maybe, maybe not.
Use a Raspbery PI to create a WAP and run the ethernet interface connected to a VPN and connect the apple tv to the pi.
All other traffic would go through your normal wifi.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

That actually might be worth a look in to @dvorak as there's loads of content available in the US that isn't available here, but I'll first need to find a VPN that support Netflix as a lot of them have been filtered out. I read that ExpressVPN is an option but as I've subscribed to the 4K+ service I'd want to view in that mode so cost may well prove to be an issue.

dvorak

ExpressVPN works fine Wink
Customer / Moderator
ffox
Pro

@shutter wrote:

Download and install "Windscribe"...  (you can get it as a n "addon"  with Firefox Tools... )    and you can access  US vpn`s... depending on where the tv is .. east . central... west.... and many other countries..

I've tried this and it works well.  I've added it to Chrome, but it will add on to other browsers.

A word of warning- it really slows down throughput.  My downstream decreases from 70 Meg to 20 Meg and the upstream from 18 Meg to 2 meg so it is unlikely that I could get ultra-fast HD with it.

Is this order of performance degradation common with other VPNs? 

dvorak

Nope, with Nord and Express I see throughput of 80%+ of my line speed.
They aren't free though..
Customer / Moderator
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@ffox   I wouldn`t know about the download retardation problem... although some German tv that i watch, does seem to "buffer"  some times... but then... my linespeed is only 6 megs !. adsl

I use the "addon" version of Windscribe...... I don`t know if the "proper" download and install version ( independent of browser) might work faster..... ? ? ? ?   could be worth investigating... for the benefit of other users..... ?