Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A pipe leaking at a flat

idlewis
Grafter

A pipe leaking at a flat

Can anyone help
There is a pipe leaking at one on the private tenements.  It is being going on for two weeks now and because it beside a hairdressing business, people are refusing to go in therefore the the business owner is losing custom and money.
Any suggestions what to do as maybe the tenant do not have the money for a plumber and the pavement is getting flooded.
Thanks
54 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: A pipe leaking at a flat

Contact the local water authority.....waste of water.....
 contact the local council emergency service, as it appears to be causing a "public nuisance" (flooding the pavement).
(there could be a more serious problem..... someone in the flat may well have collapsed/died and the police may need to be informed.)
nadger
Rising Star

Some very good points, shutter  Smiley
idlewis
Grafter

I have phoned the local council and Scottish Water and they both said that they do not deal with it I am afraid.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Who is the landlord Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: idlewis
I have phoned the local council and Scottish Water and they both said that they do not deal with it I am afraid.

Seems like they are passing the buck.  I think I would contact the Police and suggest there may be someone inside the property that could need help.  I think the Police may be able to put pressure on the appropriate authority to get something done.
idlewis
Grafter

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Who is the landlord Smiley

How do I find out?  I have contacted the Housing Association and it is not registered with them.  The person may have bought the property and pay mortgage on it.
adie:green fixed quote
Community Veteran

You've followed the sensible ideas from Shutter so I would be tempted to talk to the Police.  I don't think they can ignore it Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is anyone living in the flat or does it appear empty ?
Does the council have a list of addresses for council tax purposes which may identify if anyone is in the property ?
As suggested the police are the best bet as they could get this info fairly quickly, I expect they could also check with Social Services to see if the address is known to them.
The owner of the shop might like to chat to his insurance company to see if they can offer any advice.
Anyway keep us posted as to how things develop.
anniesboy
Grafter

For goodness ,dont you think the police have enough to do without dealing with water leaks.
Please do contact the local council they may well have powers to enter the property in these  circumstances,or at least force the landlord into action.
Community Veteran

If you read the earlier posts you will see the local council do not want to know.  Someone could be injured in the property and the Police could deal with this.
Community Veteran

The police would not be "dealing with a water leak".... they would be investigating a possible crime. in the same way as a burglary..... the police do not replace the stolen items, they investigate the burglary and (hopefully) put the miscreant away for a few months..(the stolen items, possibly still in the possession of the miscreant(s) would eventually be returned.... as with the original post.... the water leak would eventually be fixed by another agency...
anniesboy
Grafter

I still dont think this is a police matter, who has mentioned a burglary?
In my view to do so would be wasting police time.
I would go back to the local council and be a little more pushy ,and contact a local councillor .
I will very surprised if the police act ,but will be happy to be proved wrong.
Community Veteran

The use of the "burglary" was to show the similarities of the situation....
i.e.  the police would not be investigating the water leak, nor dealing with it,... but seeing "evidence" of something wrong, they can enter the premises to ascertain the reasons.  there could be a pensioner, or diabetic, or other medical reason, collapsed. and maybe has died, which is  why the water is flowing...... perhaps it is your granny laying on the floor in the bathroom having come over all faint, and hit her head on the sink, as she was running a bath..... perhaps you should wait until the council opens it`s doors on Monday morning before help is at hand. ?  Undecided  would you still say it was wasting police time ?
Community Veteran

Fully agree with you there Shutter Smiley